Here's a new tire issue!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Here's a new tire issue!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:38 am:

While on a tour, we heard what sounded like a gun shot and this is what I found. This was a newer tube and I have never seen anything like this before!Model T valve Stem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:49 am:

Maybe when they molded that tube there was some contamination on the brass valve stem that prevented a proper bond between the rubber casing and the valve stem. I have seen this twice (on truck tires) and the manufacturer replaced them and they came to our truck stop and inspected our entire inventory... that was Firestone in 1973

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:51 am:

I have several times. Mine did not blow. They leaked out at the end near the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:54 am:

Bummer! The good news is now you have a perfect candidate for an original metal stem transplant. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/640373.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:58 am:

Kurt ; I had the same ,but just before [ Blow ]
2676M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:59 am:

Kurt ; I had the same ,but just before [ Blow ]
2676M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 10:33 am:

Had the same thing happen with my bicycle a couple years ago. Put some new inner tubes on my Schwinn and, after a few months, one tube ruptured around the stem.

The brass part of the stem only goes down so far and the rest is a plastic tube. The rubber surround the plastic tube separates and creates an aneurysm that eventually bursts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 11:49 am:

Kurt,

I think those old wire wheels are your problem, which I can help solve for you. I would gladly those offending wheels off your hands!!!!!

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

I have had a couple of valve stems replaced at a tire shop that deals with commercial users. Just a option to consider

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 12:35 pm:

Slightly different problem... but I think youíre right brass car guy! Darn wire wheels must be the root cause! ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Easily fixed !!!!! (????)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

dale w, I admire the fix.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Richard,
I sure wish you had been a judge at Pebble Beach! Can you believe those snobs dinged me a point over this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

I can't imagine why dale. Do you suppose it was the red hose or the screw clamp?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

I have this "swelling stem" problem on some 1950-1960s tubes. Wrapped wire around it. Not sure what I'll do really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 06:49 pm:

Wrong vintage hose clamp! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 03:42 pm:

https://modeltfordfix.com/fixing-a-flat-tire/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 07:36 pm:

Under inflated tire will do that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

Can also wrap some bailing wire around the stem to get you going until you can put a new tube in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Nothing "new" about that issue. I have been fighting that one for forty years now. I have a couple tubes in old spare tires that still hold air just fine with two turns of bailing wire wrapped and tied around the base of the valve stem. I consider that to be a permanent repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 10:18 pm:

Well... Thatís all the proof I need!!! See for yourself, above pictures show that 3 out of 4 valve stem problems occur while using wire wheels!!!

Brass car guy...! Are you still accepting these offending wheels? You may be a valve stems only hope!! Iíll send all mine right away... hope you have lots of room! ;) ;) ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

I used very light weight tie wire (like you use on aircraft) Its been 3yrs now , my new tubes are rotting in the bag. Im thinking that if you would put some heat shrink tubing on the new tube stems, it would prevent this and offer some added protection. I have built air hoses for years with barbed fittings and heat shrink (no clamps). They work very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:25 am:

Thanks to you guys I just put hose clamps (2) on the valve stem and the tube holds air. Good for another 100,000 or so!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Spadafore on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

I've had 2 tubes do something similar. They didn't develop the full aneurysm, but the rubber stem came unglued from the brass core and they'd bleed off all the air in a couple minutes. A couple hose clamps held things until I could get new tubes ordered. I was still really hesitant to venture out of the neighborhood with them like that, though. Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of tubes they were or how old they were. They came with the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration