Adjustable lifters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Adjustable lifters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernd Lorenzen on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

Hi everyone,

I finally found some time for the T. After inspecting the moving parts, I found out that the camshaft needs at least a new front bearing, so I started disassembling radiator and cylinder front cover as well as the big timing gear and the valve covers.
But here it comes: Is there a possibility to hold the adjustable lifters in the up position when there are no holes to drive pins through? As per Ford Service you are able to put a pin through it and allow the valve and springs to rest on the push rod. I checked the forum and yes I could use clothespins for the lifters but what about the spring`s tension?

Do I really need to pull the head or is there a trick to avoid it?

Thanks in advance from abroad,
Bernd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

You can remove the valve springs but you probably have to remove the manifold first.
Use on of those lever-type compressors; pullout the pin.
Then, it's possible to push the valve up, and fiddle the spring out. Or, leave it in place slack, and wedge something into it to hold up the lifter inside the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 05:26 pm:

Remove the radiator and timing cover. The remove the cylinder head, valves, springs, and keepers. Pull the lifters up in pairs of two and use a rubber band to secure each pair together in the raised position. After all the lifters have been secured, remove the cam bearing lock bolts (2) and them remove the camshaft from the engine. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

Old wood spring type clothes pins work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

They work good, Bill, but my wife threatened me if they got oily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Terry if you want to play it safe,buy your wife some new clothes pins.If your luck is like mine,you will have the clothes pins covered in oil in no time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernd Lorenzen on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Thanks Chris, Mark and Bill.

My intention was to save a cylinder head gasket as I`m afraid I would wreck it if I pull the head.
But it is probably wise to check the valveseats anyhow.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration