MODERN REAR AXLE SEALS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: MODERN REAR AXLE SEALS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

I installed rear floating hubs on my fordor. It has the modern neoprene inner sear that are held in place by the Hyatt bearing. Without that bearing what holds the seals in place? The floating hubs have a dual o-ring type seal so do I even need the inner seals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

John,

Depending on who made them, but from my experience those seals are not required as the new style floating hubs use the o-rings to keep the 600W at bay and the internal bearings have their own seals.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 01:39 am:

Properly designed safety hubs should use a positive lip type oil seal inside the bearing spud that seals on the old Hyatt bearing surface on the axle. The outside of the bearing spud should be machined for an o-ring to seal the bearing spud to the axle housing. I'm not sure what an o-ring type seal is but an o-ring should never be used to seal any thing but a static joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 06:43 am:

OK Dan, you would know, who sells "properly designed safety hubs". I'm thinking about building up a new rear axle with safety hubs later this summer. Don't want to put together a "leaker".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 11:20 am:

You want Dan's !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

I purchased the hubs from Bird Haven. I donít know who made them! They look like they are good quality with dual
O-rings on the hub that fits in the housing and the lip type seal on the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

John, you don't use the inner seal you had for the Hyatt bearing. The drawing shows only the internal modern seals and outer o-rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

Thank you Pat, that is what I was looking for.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration