Clearance and torq on rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Clearance and torq on rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

What should the clearance be when taking up rods?

Also, what do you torq the rod bolts to?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

1.5 thou at 35lbs of toque on the rod bolts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JEFF STEVENSON on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 08:14 am:

Is there a table or listing somewhere of all engine nut and bolt torque values? I dint find anything in the T1.

Head bolts
Pan bolts
Wrist pin bolts
Etc

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 09:49 am:

No there isn't a chart.
Head bolts about 45-50 FP and re check several times after
Rear axle nut about 100-120 FP
Wrist pin tight then cotter pin
Pan bolts tighten, never have worried about a torque value, same with most the other nuts and bolts on the outside

I use Ford tools so never really have worried about torque values. (when I first put a head back on I use a torque wrench, sometimes)

In the era the length of the wrench set the torque. So if the Ford sold wrench is say 10-12" long, the amount of force an average person could pull on it till it stopped turning without getting over zealous is the torque for that fitting. Even today if you buy your normal everyday wrench set, they come in different lengths. Even at that, a 4" wrench can still twist off or break a 1/4" bolt, so a lot is by feel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 09:55 am:

Here is a generic torque table based on fastener size and grade. Note that the main table values are for dry fasteners.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Since Ford was not grading bolts in the '20s, I would torque to a grade 1 or 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

I'm wondering why the Vendors haven't been able to put together a Recommended Torque Value chart for the T hobbyists ???
I would think that putting together a list, send it out to all the engine builders/machinists for review and come up with a good workable consensus ???

I would think it would be a good project for somebody more knowledgeable than myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Not a professional rebuilder but with a good number of years experience, the bolts I set torque on are:

Rods - in steps 25 then 35 after checking or replacing the nuts and bolts. (I've heard 25, 30 and 35 and some of the bolts I've seen were visibly stretched.)

Mains - in steps 35 then 50 after checking condition of the threads. (I've heard 45 - 55 from others)

Flywheel - 60

Head - In steps from 35 up to 50 or 55 after checking threads and clearing any garbage out of the bottom of the holes. Bolts should fit snug to the head when the head is on without a gasket. If they stand proud of the head they are too long - the head or block may have been milled. If you need to shorten a head bolt, shorten them all the same amount so you don't need to remember which is which.

I too would be interested to hear what the paid pros use in these instances.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration