Old Photo - 1918 BATTLE CREEK, MI, CAMP CUSTER TROOP REVIEW

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - 1918 BATTLE CREEK, MI, CAMP CUSTER TROOP REVIEW
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:01 am:

What type of car / body style is the car in the lower left, with a folding top on just the rear portion of the top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 10:09 am:

A "Landaulet", me thinks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Look at how nice and full all those tops fit. The only thing there that looks like the rib cage on a horse is the rib cage on the horse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

Looks like a chilly, "off & on" drizzly day as all of the open car tops are up, and the 11th car down from the camera end of the first row seems to have positioned their top in such a way as to provide some shelter from the rain, and perhaps the ability to quickly and easily adjust the top for open or closed as needed, with the "off & on" rain showers. All conjecture on my part of course, but interesting,.......harold

P.S. Great picture Jay,....you and Herb sure come up with some "beauties"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

Looks like a chilly, "off & on" drizzly day as all of the open car tops are up, and the 11th car down from the camera end of the first row seems to have positioned their top in such a way as to provide some shelter from the rain, and perhaps the ability to quickly and easily adjust the top for open or closed as needed, with the "off & on" rain showers. All conjecture on my part of course, but interesting,.......harold

P.S. Great picture Jay,....you and Herb sure come up with some "beauties"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

On man,.......I gotta' quit doing this "double posting" thing. My wife keeps showing me stuff she wants me to see that she's finding on her "laptop" and I keep forgetting whether I posted or not! It won't happen again (today),.....I promise!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 12:54 am:

Look at the touring car tops, no sags no wrinkles, they look taunt and smooth. Wonder why we can't get ours to look that good today?

just askin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:08 am:

Back in the day there were a lot of Top Shops in most large Cities that specialized in top repair and installation. I have a photo of one in downtown Houston in the 20s with the touring's and Roadster's lined up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 08:29 am:

B/C guy...at the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, after days of "tweaking" mine, I think its fairly close to those in the picture...at least I'm happy with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:09 am:

I don't have an open car but it seems to me this guy is really pushing the limits of the top on his roadster,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:38 am:

Tim,

That is a fine looking 1913 T. The top is as good as you can get. You have an outstanding example, congrats.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

B/C guy: thanks! 😀

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 03:05 pm:

Camp Custer was built in 1917 following US entry into WW I, to accommodate 35,000 trainees. Over 100,000 men were trained or demobilized there during that conflict. It continues in use as a military training center as "Fort Custer".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

I'll be there from 21-28 July with the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps. I'm an Assistant Division Officer for the Motor Vehicle Maintenance training. It's a blast. We help the National Guardsmen/women repair their vehicles for a week. The kids really dig it.

I'm just glad the barracks are air conditioned now. They weren't when my great grandfather shipped out of there in 1918- he was one of the 339th Inf. Div. "Polar Bears" and got an extended stay in Russia. I have an artillery shell that's been engraved that he brought back to Hamtramck.

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

Interesting. It was at camp Custer that I was separated from active duty to the ready reserves in January, 1953. I was an enlisrty and not a drafty. I served in a heavy weapons company as the Company Clerk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

Darel = Radar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

Darel = Radar

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration