Model T Speeder Body Base Frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Model T Speeder Body Base Frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 12:13 am:

Are there any books with detailed speeder body design? I really only want to know how to build the base, so we can build a custom body upon it. The body will be built similarly to that of a cedar stripped canoe.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 06:51 am:

Ooooooo you are in luck.

Just finished my speedster. It was tough figuring out how to do the body as there was no information, or ateast that I found, on how to mount the body.

I did it by using body brackets attached to the frame. Four of them. On an early frame you could use 6 but the 1927 frame has the wide crossmember and you can't mount them on it like on early frames.

I bolted boards to the brackets, made a rear one, then put thinner strips of wood (not pictured) as floor board risers, screwed on a seat box and was good to go. If you go to my profile you can see the finished result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 06:52 am:

Oh wait, the last photo does have the floor risers installed.

I did replace the boards/spacers blocks that bolt directly to the brackets with longer ones so they reach into the seat box and you could bolt them to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

Jason,
You can add horizontal pieces to John's vertical pieces to get a curved side to match your desired body shape.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration