Tralier Tire Recomendations ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tralier Tire Recomendations ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 12:30 am:

I hate to Ask... I discovered so Many trailer tires I have never heard of looking online...

I'm looking for a Load Range D with a speed rating of M on a ST205/75r15 tire.

The last ones I purchased in AZ on tour there from a Goodyear Dealer were called Road Rider maybe made by Husky and have performed very good so far.

Any recommendations. I need a couple more.

I find it interesting that trailer tires seem to blow out when they fail but not passenger or truck tires? I wonder why so many people have trouble with trailer tires? I have never wore out a tire and always inflate to max cold pressure.

I've tried Marathon and Carlisle and not good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 01:42 am:

Goodyear Endurance 10 ply ST tires

Buy at Discount Tire - America’s Tire Store (both are same)

Order online if no store in your area - they will meet or beat
any quote - get road hazard certificates for free replacement
good for life of tire (no pro rating tread depth)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 01:45 am:

Hi Gene !

Did not realize it was you ......

Loooong day of driving just ended for me.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 03:51 am:

I’m using the “ST” (special trailer) tyres on my 4 wheel car trailer. The data tells me that they have a tougher side wall
and don’t flex providing stability and little or no swaying.

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 03:58 am:

Do you use tire covers when storing trailer outside? The sun's UV rays cause breakdown in the rubber's composition usually causing sidewall failure since this is the most probable area of solar exposure. Covers can be purchased at most trailer sales locations. I made mine out of plywood and slide up inside the lip on the fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 06:34 am:

I only run run two brands of trailer tires: Goodyear Endurance, and Kumho 857. My preference of the two is the US made Goodyear Endurance. Either one is a great choice. I just purchased a new enclosed trailer for hauling the Model T around this spring. When you drop a load of cash on the unit, you would think they would put decent trailer tires on it. Nope! It had four cheap imported trailer tires and no spare. So I purchased a rim and ordered 5 ST205/75r15 load range D Goodyear Endurance tires from my local guys. After mounting and balancing the bill cost $680. I look on it as great insurance protecting the $11.5K invested in the trailer itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 07:43 am:

My preference is MAXXIS brand tires. They seem to be popular with the RV crowd. I bought a set for my old trailer and was very happy with them. When I had my third flat on the cheap OEM tires that came on my new trailer I bought a set for it as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 10:34 am:

I've had just the opposite experience. Trailer tires, made for trailers are the only way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 11:50 am:

Stay away from "Blow Max". AKA Tow Max

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

I also rum the Maxxis M8008 ST tires. Have great reviews. I have run them a couple years now and they are doing fine. Just finished a 3500 mile trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 04:05 pm:

Go with the Goodyear Endurance. They probably cost a bit more, because they are built better. They have to be better built, as they have a higher speed rating than the run-of-the-mill ST tire. The bonus is, they are made in the USA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

If your trailer sits much, I like the bias ply tires. You can get a nice tire on ebay for about $70. And yes they do get flat spots on them but they round up in a few miles. Radial tires that are not moved (here in Las Vegas Nevada) will just come apart in the summer time. On the other hand, we have bias ply tires on some of our equipment trailers that are 30 years old and still will go down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 12:31 am:

Dan, You were right!! I looked at the blow out that happened to my spare tire that was mounted Inside my trailer on the wall.. It was a BLOW MAX!! Didn't just blow a small hole but separated along the edge of the tread in two different places about 8" each. I've never seen anything like it. It wasn't even o the Road!!

I decided on the Goodyear Endurance after checking several different tires. The Goodyear has a very stiff side wall and is much heavier than others I looked at.

My ST205/75R15 have a load rating of D and a speed rating of N which is 87MPH. They get inflated to 65psi and have a full warranty good for only 3 years from Americas tire. Cost $110 each plus install and tax But they had a July 4th sale which refunded $100. So 4 tires ended up costing me $132 each and I now have a nice spare.

Thanks guys for the comments

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration