Saved by Coca Cola - Wood Spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Saved by Coca Cola - Wood Spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 07:09 am:

Many thanks to the folks at Coca Cola.

Putting together my rear wheel I found the fit was just not as tight as could be wished for.

What should I do?

The answer came by way of a plastic fizzy bottle (pop to our NA friends).

I cut shims from sections of the plastic bottle and after fitting a number over the dowels at the end of the spokes we achieved a good tight fit when the spokes were pressed home.

In the 'old days' (and not so long ago either as my buddy Chris can confirm), leather belts and shoe tounges have done sterling service in a big end that lost the metal, and I have even heard of wooden pistons too (with a metal cap on top), so I guess it is only 'right' to find 21st century products being useful 'under the shade tree' to help out keeping the T on the road ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 07:37 am:

I think it may be a felony to call it "pop" here in Texas.

Any sweet carbonated beverage is a "coke".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 08:16 am:

That reminds me Don, a saying I use in teaching. it all depends on where you are from..
A Soda, a Pop, a Coke...or A Bag, a Sack, a Tote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 10:56 am:

It is getting to the point where people do not know the difference between a sack or a bag, or a case or carton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 11:08 am:

In the mid 70's in Miami it was not wise to ask for "some Coke"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Why did the kid put ice in his Father's bed?
He wanted a cold Pop. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

David,.....your making me "tear up" with laughter,.....I need a Kleenex,....I mean a tissue,......ahhh,......whatever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

Ah, yes, a "Serviette"
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 06:40 pm:

Adrian,

That may work really great. Or maybe the same as using metal steel shims. Or it may not last very long at all. I have not heard of that being done before - so you may be the test case?

I did a very unscientific test and put a strip of the bottle plastic in the vice and compressed it. It seemed to take the pressure without deforming.

But I would suggest checking the wheels often until you see how it works. Or perhaps someone else already knows how it works as a shim in the wheels (better, the same, or worse than steel?)?
(Kevlar replaced metal in a lot of things in the military -- such as helmets, body parts for the Humvee etc.).

I'm looking forward to hearing more about how others have done that or how it turns out if you are the first one to try it.

And thank you for sharing about it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

How about entire spokes made out of recycled plastic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

I think you may be working on a loose wheel very soon. Better buy a case of "pop".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

When I got my RPU I was going through the bearings and found a piece of a coke can wrapped around the race in the front hub. You could read "coke" on it. I ran it. Till I found a better one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:58 am:

Thanks for the comments Hap.

I am not the first person to do this in NZ it seems. With no steel shims to hand I thought I would give it a try and report the process.

I will provide updates after a period of use.

Cheers,

Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:57 am:

Years ago, I had a loose wheel, the tenons were worn to about half the diameter where they went through the felloe. I used maple veneer to tighten the spokes and applied sensor safe silicone to the tenons and wrapped them with cotton cord and reapplied silicone. I was told that this fix would not work, but wanted to be able to take my ambulance to an event at Fort Douglas the next weekend and thought it would be "good enough." I have put about 4 thousand miles on that wheel and have not had it get loose yet.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration