Engine Knock

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Engine Knock
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 06:16 pm:

Over the weekend, our Club went on a 100+ mile tour. My 1926 TuDor seemed to develop a knock that only appeared at speeds over 28 MPH. Although I did hear it when the car went over bumps at lower speeds. This kind of made me think this noise was a body noise, yet it did seem to be coordinated with engine rev at the higher speeds.
Today I went on the hunt to try and find this knocking. I found a bunch of stuff that was not the knock.
1. A loose exhaust nut.
2. Exhaust pipe laying on the hogs head.
3. Choke rod laying against gas tank
4. Firewall to radiator rod to tight causing one or the other to make an oil can sound.

Then I noticed that when I rocked the car back and forth I heard a similar sound but much slower. After getting under the car I figured it was the universal joint. The last time I had the universal out was about 2 years ago on an engine tear down. I knew that it was a little sloppy, but serviceable (in my opinion). My solution was to use my pneumatic grease gun and fill the universal area (4th main cap and driveshaft ball) with grease. This made the knock go away. There are still many noises in my Model T, but this one, that sounds like an engine knock is mostly gone. I wonder how long the packed in grease will last? Suppose that I should find another universal joint to replace the one I have. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

The universal should be pumped with grease every 500 miles. I do that with mine. Runs nice and quiet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

Might also be the driveshaft bushing, or the fourth main.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 11:11 am:

Thanks for the reply. I'll check those items next time I have the engine out, maybe this winter. I think or maybe hope they are OK. Both were replaced about 4-5 years ago during a winter inspection. I drive my car 5 to 6 thousand miles per year and usually tear down the engine each winter. I'll keep the universal full from now on. Thanks again, Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration