Calling all TOWNCAR owners.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Calling all TOWNCAR owners.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

I am curious as to how many model T Towncars are out there! It is not a run of the mill model but there is supposed to be around 500 spread around the globe in various condition, years and variations from what we consider standard model T colors and equipment. As I have been doing my research, it seems most Towncars are either buried in the darkness of a shed, garage or in a museum and not brought out for the public to see. If you have a model T Towncar, would you please respond with year and condition of your baby and if possible a picture. I know of about five or six, how many do you know of? Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

Frank,

I donít have an one, but it looks s my favorite body. So if you (the reader) have one as described that is just sitting around, I could take it off your hands and store it in my garage. And take it out for a spin now and then. ;)

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

Here you go Frank...1912. Sure hope Jean Claude posts a recent photo of his original 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:24 am:

Tony Chesters here in the UK has a nice Manchester built 1912. I should have a photo of it somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAVID SPENCE on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 11:15 am:

Hi Jem

There is a picture of the Tony Chester car on the top line of our Facebook page Model T Ford Register of Great Britain .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

On the left is my favorite Town Car, the Jim Finney, Paul Antonucci, Bob Bruce 1912.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

Scott, you have been a huge inspiration for me and you have given me a lot of fantastic information on our talks. That is why, as I told you, I painted my towncar the same as yours. They say that the greatest flattery you can give is to do the same to a beautiful object. Thank you Scott. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

Hello Frank:
You are entirely welcome. Yours turned out fantastic. Your extra efforts produced an exceptional job, and I know you are basking in the attention the car gets. Here's hoping our Aussi, Europe, and Latin American friends will chime in here as well.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

Thanks for starting this thread. Perhaps those who have Towncars could post photos of the interior and different all around views of their cars. They are beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

Frank,

You probably already know that Don Watson used to publish a Town Car newsletter. He is still active on the forum, but would also be a help in accounting for Town Cars.

There are several articles on the Town Cars in the national club magazines. The one I liked the best was a great photo shoot of an original "The Lady from Cheyenne" It was a 1914 Town Car with an interesting history going back to when it was first sold May 6, 1914 to A. B. Hyde (Hyde Hack Service) in Cheyenne, Wyoming USA. The article is on pages 28 to 35 of the Mar-Apr 1980 "Vintage Ford" and the car was featured on the cover -- and is shown below:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

Hap, I have talked with Don Watson several times and I have all of the copies of the " About Town " towncar newsletter. I am trying to bring about awareness to the towncar along with more interest for the Model T Ford in general. Thank you for the reference, I will research the article and thank you for the reply. As you can see all of the towncar owners are quiet and not answering to the post. Sad. Need to put a firecracker under some of they're backside. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

i have the body off this car to put on my 1911 russell knight,some day. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

Frank,

I suspect many of the Town Car owners as well as other antique car owners have not adopted using the message board or Facebook etc. In many cases especially as you look at the younger owners they have. But I know my Dad never really got comfortable with the computers. He could rebuild an engine etc. but that computer was just not something he wanted to jump in and learn.

Clearly in the next 20 years a lot of early cars will be changing hands. I may not even be here by then. I often have to remind myself I'm just a heartbeat away from eternity. But I would recommend that you, Scott, and others consider starting a Town Car Specialty Club. That would be a chapter of the Model T Ford Club of America but would not be a geographic chapter. The 1903-1909 Early Ford Registry ( https://earlyfordregistry.com/ ) is one of those clubs/chapters. And in the case of the Early Ford Registry it is also a Registry of the Horseless Carriage Club of America. It offers a good link between folks who like the 1903-1909 Early Fords. It has a web site and the newsletter is delivered by e-mail for folks that like computers. But folks never have to touch a computer if they don't want to. They can mail in their dues (in US dollars) and receive the newsletter by mail (at a higher cost to pay for printing and mailing).

And having the Specialty Group has had a very positive impact. I know one individual that before the group really got going, sold their 1907 4-cylinder Ford. But then 4 or 5 years after the group got going and information was being shared, parts were being reproduced, etc. they purchased another 1907 or so 4-cylinder Ford.

See page 10 of the MTFCA Operating Procedures concerning starting a chapter or an affiliate it is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/Manual.pdf It isn't that hard and I suspect you already have more than the minimum number of 5 that is required to start a chapter. For the Early Ford Registry, it really was a case of "If you build it they will come." A lot of folks had early Fords but didn't know how to get them going, where to get the parts, where to get the advice etc. One owner used the compression stroke on each cylinder to figure out the firing order of his car. He didn't know that information was available in the reprinted Ford Literature as well as on line from the club and other locations.

Starting the ball rolling on the forum is a great idea. I would also recommend taking out a free add in the printed "Vintage Ford." And as the organization grows people will hear about it and search it out. Note the Early Ford Registry grew out of a 1906-1908 N, R, S group. It took about 4 or 5 years to get it growing and adding the web site really helped. I would think an article in the club magazine sharing how many Town Cars are currently known to exist and asking folks to provide leads for where others might be located could generate interest. Jarvis has done that for years with the Mercury Speedsters and he is still finding new information and bodies/cars.

OK - I'm off my soap box. I wish you the best at bringing the folks together. And if I can be of any help -- please let me know.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:44 am:

Hello Hap:
For those here who may not have already heard this story... You'll recall the stellar Town Car and Landaulet club that good friend Don Watson managed for so many years, and especially Don's About Town News Letter. Don put much of his time and his own expense into the effort, however toward it's end, was not receiving sufficient input from readers, so this went by the way-side. While the ATNL was up and running, interest peaked, and a number of T/C and Landaulet projects were constructed, where original examples from some model years had previously gone completely extinct..The Landaulet for instance. Toward the last ATNL issues, there was also a flurry of early Coupe activity, where the creation of a number of these wooden body examples effectively complimented the Town Car discussion. Love to see more of these current cars displayed here on MTFCA, and also encourage related period photos, that may or may not be out in the public domain. Attached is a very cool shot of a 1912 RHD that I found on-line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:51 am:

When I saw this post yesterday it read "Calling all TOWCAR owners" and I skipped it thinking they were thinking towing a trailer.????

This is my Town Car, I built it in 1978
At that time Paul Antonucci's Town Car was one of only about 2 or 3 which the MTFCA knew about.

Paul had printed a small booklet which I purchased from him that showed inside and other details close up. He also then sent me detailed drawings of the windscreen mechanisms so I could make them.

Having small children at the time this body was a godsend. Kids can be locked in the back, the rear roof folded down makes it great in summer, Seals them up in the rain and cold.
TC 01
TC 02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:29 am:

I have seen this early example on-line, but do not know anything about the car or it's owner. Looks to be displayed in a Museum, so it would be interesting to know whether or not this is a driven car.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:23 am:

At one time there was one in the greater Portland Oregon area. I do not have any information other then it was at a car show in Forest Grove Oregon maybe back in the 80's and I think the owner lived in Lake Oswego.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

With encouragement from Don, I rebuilt the wreckage of one I owned. It was caught in a fire and very poorly partially rebuilt. I completed the rebuild and after Heatherís passing I decided to thin the herd a little. Iíll try to get the new owner to follow this post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

Where are you guys hiding? I was told about 500 towncars are around but can't get anyone to actually substantiate that. How come? Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

Frank, a lot of the T owners don't read the forum and if they do they never respond. They are just lurkers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

Some folks aren't interested in revealing surviving towncars for at least two reasons:

- Folks that own towncars don't want to be hounded about their car and whether or not it is for sale. It's nobody's business but their own whether or not they own a towncar.

- Folks that seriously want to own a towncar and know the whereabouts of one or more towncars and their owners are not about to divulge that information and give leads to other people in the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

To all concerned. Please do not leave any further comments, good or bad. I had no devious intentions with the content and I am sorry that the whole thing went south. Please ignore everything I have written, and do not add any comments so the whole thing will disappear. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Any car that is taken out to a show will have the owners name on it in most cases and if it's published in a show guide, same thing in most cases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 03:50 am:

I am surprised Don Watson has not spoken up yet,
I hope he is OK??

Being an owner for so long I have always looked out for Town Car info. Quite a few have been built but along with the few original examples I would have put the total at no more than 30 certainly no where near 500. but I have often been wrong before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 07:52 am:

I for one was glad for this post, as I was not familiar with these. Town cars look to be an iconic example of Edwardian motoring, prime examples of the best qualities of brass era automobiles. The green one in the museum makes my socks roll up and down!

Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:09 am:

Frank,

Thank you for starting this thread. Many of us love to see beautiful cars, the work dedicated to getting, and keeping them beautiful. Many of the owners must like sharing or there wouldn't be any photos.

Erik,

I agree with your statements concerning a FEW owners. These views are not limited to just towncar owners. There are owners of all models feeling this way as well.

If a person feels as such, then I suggest they DO NOT post comments, photos, nor share any information concerning their interests. I, for one, will share as I would like others to share with me. In this way, we ALL benefit. Isn't that why we have a MTFCA club?

Cheers,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 09:39 am:

R M Sotheby's is auctioning what they are calling a 1909 Model T Coup DE Ville at their Hershey Auction this fall. check it out by googling RM Hershey. Tried to transfer a picture but ( dah )
not able to. Is this a Town Car ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith McGowan on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Many things on the RM car are not 1909 Ford. The body is a custom made body, not Ford. The wrong items I noticed on a quick look through the photos are the springs are not taper leaf, the head lights are 1911- 12, the rear end is not a clamshell 6 rivet, the speedometer is wrong, the pedals are smooth. Probably many other chassis items are from a later car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

I just got back from a antique tractor, hit & miss engine, antique vehicle show in Wayne Ohio and someone had a 1910 town car on display. It had PA plates on it and was almost all wood skin body. I didn't have my camera with me but my friend did so he took a lot of pictures of it for me and as soon as I get them I'll post them here. It may be a day or so before he sends them. I didn't see anyone around the car or I would have ask them for some information.

There were a several Model T's, Model A's a Model T truck, and two Model T tractor conversion there. Both tractor conversions were for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

Denny,is the show also Sunday? And is it at the fairgrounds? THANK YOU! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Tim

The show does run on Sunday at the Ashtabula County Antique engine club show grounds on Highway 322 in Wayne Ohio. Look up the Ashtabula County Antique Engine Club on their website for the details. It runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Saturday is the "big" day. They also had a big flea market area selling everything from antique engine and car parts to house hold junk. I have a friend who is a member and I wasn't going to go until he talked me into it. I drove my "27 Touring down and a good time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

Tim,

My friend is from Garfield Heights. His son has 27 antique tractors so I got quite an education among all that old iron today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 08:54 am:

Tim,

If you go to the event see if you can get contact information on the conversion tractors for me.

Thanks
Denny

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration