Old Photo - Auto Camping In Los Angeles 1920's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Auto Camping In Los Angeles 1920's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:44 am:

There are so many aspects of this picture I like.

The one guy has crouches.

I would love to see more of that camp stove.

It looks like they have a bed made, that is above the seat backs.

The canvas, looks like it is draped over the top just to keep the mosquitos out. does LA even have mosquitos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Now days, people just set up camp on the sidewalks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Correll - Carlsbad CA on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 11:27 am:

My grand parents made several camping trips to California and Washington state from Nebraska in the early 1920's in their Model T. But I don't think they had a Prentiss-Wabers Auto KampKook Kit, Model 2 with them. I think that is the stove in the picture. Check out the Classic Camp Stoves website or visit: https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/prentiss-wabers-2.17419/

Keep the coffee warm guys.

Oh.... and yes there are mosquitos in So. California - but nothing compared to the B-29 Minnesota mosquitos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 11:39 am:

Thanks for the info. That might be why I never noticed mosquitoes in CA, as I am use to the high intensity Minnesota version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

Our mosquitoes down South are mistaken for turkeys by tourists.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Love to see how the guys are wearing the lower half of their WW1 Army uniforms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

It looks like home construction in a new neighborhood. Several vacant lots, a few very new looking houses. Many people would do that in those days. It was a big step in a major new direction for society. Buy a subdivision lot, and camp on it while they built the house. They look pretty well set up for a few weeks stay.
I wonder about the fellow with the crutches. Did he get hurt working on the house? Or maybe a lingering injury from the great war?
A wonderful photo showing a slice of life "in the day".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

The car behind the 2 man. What kind of wheels are those with 6 lugs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

not much to go on,but buy the hub cap it is not an overland. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Firestone wheels were very common for the model T and still are.
They had six lug bolts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration