Old Photo - Hauling Melons In A Chain Drive FORD

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Hauling Melons In A Chain Drive FORD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:45 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Great photo Jay! Thanks.

I've always wondered something about these Smith Form-A-Truck kits (and the other similar products). Obviously, when it's designed the chain drive portion can easily be geared up, direct, or under. What was the common ratio used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

According to some on here, that's a TT. Must be 7.25:1 or 5.17:1, huh? Hopefully, you can cut through my sarcasm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

The question was about the chain drive gear ratio not the rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 03:06 pm:

IMO, those old oblong melons with the seeds tasted better than today's seedless melons. Hard to find them in today's grocery stores. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

Just so they are BIG. That's the best kind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:08 pm:

I agree with Tom & Mark, the old ones definitely tasted better than the bowling balls we get today. I didn't mind the seeds either.

I also agree with Chris; I think the question was about the chain sprocket ratios.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

Well one thing for sure is that those mellons had plenty of time to ripen on the way to the market in that truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

My chain drive TT goes a quick 11mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

Yes, I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

Oh! I was expecting a bunch of pin-up girls in the back of a pick up!!! Shows you where my mind is!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 10:46 pm:

Great pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

Marty - My late father-in-law used to say,....."when that's gone, they might as well bury you!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

Harold, good one!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration