O T What is the wildest thing you ever bought on a whim???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: O T What is the wildest thing you ever bought on a whim???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

I bought this at a auction the other day because I thought it was kind of cute, do not know what I will do with it, believe its from the late 1800's
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

Robert, thats cool. Now you need to find the power plant for it. That is the expensive part. I have a power plant for one of those. Its a 1985 model, probably 100 years newer than the buggy.Marshall Michigan is just north of me .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:46 pm:

Bob, Get a horse! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

Marriage License.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 03:13 pm:

I'm jealous !! And I have the "motor" (Libby - Saddlebred cross, 15h-3") and the "transmission" (shafts, single harness and collar) ! All in perfect condition and ready to go !! (That running gear may take a little work !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Other than the leather parts and the top the body and chassis parts seem very solid
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

This was not a whim,L don,t know what you would call it.
Never dated girls always got in the way. Typical teenager only had time for cars. But went to a party and met this girl from England who was at the party,this was in Oct 1979.In Dec same year the boss comes to me I had a weeks holiday left,use or loose it.I worked at the local Gm dealer as an apprentice mechanic.So called the guy who had the party looking for a English girls phone nnumber. Went to England for a weeks holiday and was engaged two days after landing.
That was 36 SHORT years ago still married to my best friend ,who comes to Hershey with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

I bought a 17', 1937 Kennebec, Kineo Special, wood & canvas canoe. It was in terrible condition, so I paid to have it (semi)professionally restored.

Very nice now. No, I am not a canoeist, nor have I ever paddled a canoe, until this past Saturday anyway. And no, it was not the Kennebec, it was a rented aluminum one. Why actually use the canoe you paid all that money to have restored. That would be silly. We will use it however.... just don't know when yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

Not T or even automotive, but the wildest thing I ever bought on a whim was an etching of a sailing ship. It's titled, "Homeward Bound". What makes in memorable is the fact my wife and I had only been married a few days. We had limited money and no furniture, pots, pans, dishes, and so on. But, we loved it.

I still love that thing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Well getting ready to pull the trigger on buying a 38 Ford standard coupe project. Will be Done like a mild 50’s custom retaining original running gears and pd such. -Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 01:10 am:

a 1911 Indian frame and forks and a 47 Studebaker truck that has not run in many decades - that E bay is dangerous :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 03:29 am:

This latest batch of model T Fords!
AND the 28 IH truck remnants from the junkyard when I was 13!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 06:39 am:

41 Ford business coupe with 28,000 miles on it. Ellen talked me into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 07:31 am:

Robert, Looks great, but the engine mount up front is gone. High wheeler project?
Peter, nice story. I'll be in Ontario for a few days starting 7-16-18
Henry, My wife and I did something very similar, brought back great memories thanks.
Tom, Well its a start on the Indian, I would love have one. The Studebaker trucks are so cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:33 am:

Took the short drive to Kathy's Bakery one Saturday morning for some danish. Merchants Motors (Hooksett, NH) was across the street. Drove home in a two year old twin turbo Toyota Celica Supra 20 minutes later. My wife was not pleased

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:52 am:

Bob: Nice ride! The photo of the transverse spring mount depicts the genesis of the Ford chassis/spring connection. Thanks for sharing. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:52 am:

Thought this would be fun. Didn't know that much about steam, but quickly learning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:03 am:

Is that a Town Car I see in the background Les? Can you post this on Frank's thread.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:13 am:

It's a 13, pretty much same body as your 12. I'm in the process of freshening it up, ie: fixed headliner, new top and due for repaint to correct blue, instead of the "70 Maverick Grabber blue" somebody painted on it.

I'll get some photos of it and post to the other thread.

Have a great 4th !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:18 am:

Les wins the “purchase on a whim” contest! That is awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:30 am:

My wife bought her on a whim, 7 year old hadn't been started til 90 days before she bought her in June a couple of years ago. I rode her on a three day pack trip into the Sawtooths that August. Turned out she has a pretty impressive cutting horse pedigree. She's a good 'un.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:36 am:

A trombone. I have no musical talent whatsoever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:39 am:

Horses are like boats. It's a happy day when you buy one, and an even happier day when you sell one. Never owned a boat, but ask me how I know about horses...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

My 1923 Fordor "T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Les, that's the smallest real steam tractor I've seen, what is it? (can't read the smokebox plate)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

John C. , quoting my granddad - "No one sells his horse because it's a good one !"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

David: It's a 1901 Russell 6hp (6x8" cylinder). This is the smallest size that Russell produced. Originally ran at 125 lbs of steam, now is certfied for 81 lbs, which is more than enough to play with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

Bought my '23 roadster/pickup with matching utility trailer at an estate sale and paid for it on the spot with my VISA card! Most serious "snap decision" I ever made, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! It was such a good price that I've been accused of "stealing" that little car & trailer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

Page Brothers ended up in the auto business. Besides the Page Auto, there 3 or 4 withPage as part of the name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

Not a purchase, but asked my future wife out the day I met her. We were both teachers and it was my first day at that school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

1913 found while looking for a 1911 in my price range.

1912 found last summer. We went to look at a 1926 but turned out it was a 26 engine in a 12. This was about 12 miles from me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Well guys, I have bot a uncountable amount of old cars some cheap some very expensive, then I bot and paid for 2 marriage licenses, countless homes, real estate and businesses. Let me tell you THE most expensive thing I ever bought was a DIVORCE!!!!

That purchase cost me a huge amount of money, a large loss of real estate, a car collection, and a family. Nothing, yes nothing compares with the cost of a divorce.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 01:02 am:

Been there wife and I our on our 4th marriage, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 08:47 am:

My 09. Sitting in an RV at Hershey with an USAF vet who invited us in out of the rain to chew the fat about his service in the UK. The sippin' whiskey was on the table.

His buddy came back, said The rain's stopped let's uncover that car. Never seen a T that early before, in 10 mins it was mine.

Chatter round the dinner table that night: Anyone get any bargains today? Well, Jem got drunk and bought a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:57 am:

About 12 years ago my wife and I were paying bills and the check book was empty. I told her we are on a spending freeze, we are not buying anything, period. Three days latter on Saturday we were on a planned car trip with others couples and we saw arrows for an auction and the others wanted to check it out so we did. They were selling a car outside and then a pickup with another auctioneer inside selling. My wife and the others went inside to take a look and came out ten minutes latter and I was standing there with the keys to a $3800. dollar pickup. The look on her face was not a very happy look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Dean, that sounds like something I would do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Picked this up a number of years ago off Craig's List in Seattle - was advertised as a "water pump" - sold it off when we relocated/retired a few years ago !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration