Back To Painting The Engine...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Back To Painting The Engine...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

I believe I'm going to paint the engine Rustoleum High Heat (2000 deg. F.) rattlecan.

Should I prime it with High Heat (also 2000 deg F.), or will that make the engine trap too much heat during routine driving?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

I'm no expert, but I've had pretty good luck with paint sticking directly to cast iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Oh, and I don't believe the high heat paint is needed. Your engine block probably never reaches 300, much less 2000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:50 pm:

I use Rustoleum satin black. It looks good, resists oil & fuel, and needs no primer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Hal, good point about the block.

How hot do you suppose the head gets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

I've painted more engines with Rustoleum than I can remember.

Done it with primer and without primer. Can't say that it ever made any difference.

And for what it's worth, I've never used the high heat stuff...just the straight up plain stuff. And it's held up fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

If you use designated engine paint, it has primer already mixed in the paint. Clean engine real well and oil free .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

I used Rust-Oleum black gloss engine enamel in a spray can. Wire brushed the engine a bit and sprayed it on. Sticking well so far...

Don't have a full engine photo on hand but here's a partial shot of the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

I could only guess, Bill, but I've never had regular spray paint burn off or even discolor on a head. Exhaust manifold? Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

Your head will only get as hot as the water running through it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 06:30 am:

George hit it on the head: surface prep is the key to any good paint job. It's a pain and slows down the work, but without clean surfaces paint won't stick worth a darn. I've used Dupli-color ceramic semi-gloss engine paint with pretty good success for rattle can stuff. Seems to stick pretty well to aluminum heads as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration