Way,Way OT, Need advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Way,Way OT, Need advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 08:29 pm:

Im trying to change the impeller in my lower unit of my 1986 Welcraft boat. Its a 5.7 Mercuruser. I have the lower unit out and in the garage. I cant get the impeller off the shaft. What happened is I was running the boat in my yard when it started to get warm so I shut it down to find that when I put the eats on the outdrive one of the ears had folded back and the engine was not getting any water. Its clear that things got real hot in the impeller housing by the melted rubber. The impeller will only move up and down about a 1/16 of an inch. I should just slide up the shaft but it will not. What am I missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Will I will be of no help. I do like your photo presentation. I have never owned a boat with a motor but I ran my row boat in the lake not my yard. I told you, no help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Doing my best to keep it Model T related.Ha, Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

Will,

Don't panic. You can take a very sharp utility knife and slice that one off. You will have a brass support ring in the cast of rubber that you should be able to twist off after you get that nuclear melt down off. Use a little anti-seize compound with the new one and a Vaseline on the outside of the new water propeller. When finished and tested to your liking, have a very cold beer and say, "That wasn't so bad".

All the Best and a HAPPY 4th of JULY,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

Will, Make sure your water passages are not obstructed by any debris too. Back blow with an air hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Will, Another thing on some of those models used a retaining clip. look as you dissect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 07:41 am:

Thank you everyone that assisted me in this project. With my Dermal tool I cut a notch in it and spread it just a little. It was stuck on the key way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 07:43 am:

You split the impeller with a Dremel and didn't mark the shaft?

You should have gone to medical school and become a brain surgeon! Congrats on the fix and have a great Fourth of July....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 07:46 am:

The inside of the impeller was made of brass so I cut just until it started to spark and I stopped. I was worried about the hitting the shaft also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 07:48 am:

When you put that lower unit back on put the gear shifter in forward position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:14 am:

Good job Will! I would expect nothing less of a Model T aficionado/mechanic. If my neighbors had the same issues the boat would have been on the way to the marina. Doesn't seem to be much desire among folks any more to tackle jobs like that anymore. I just got through "rescuing" my friends 140 hp Johnson outboard for them. Nice people, but clearly far better off at breaking things than repairing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:03 am:

A couple of things happened to the outdrive when I fried the impeller. After I got the impeller off I tried to slid the new impeller on the shaft just to size things up. I noticed that the shaft was burred stopping the impeller from sliding on. So after filing down the burr and smoothing the shaft with some fine emery cloth everything went back together just fine. I will say this project was a learning experience. Now I just need to get back on the boat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:57 am:

If one is desperate enough, it's amazing what he/she can do with a Dremel and cutoff wheel. I managed to get the Dexter steering column lock off my T's steering column with one without buggering up the threads. Then of course I found that I can't use the gear box because it hasn't had any lubrication in about 75 years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration