Battery Installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Battery Installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dustin Schwab on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

I just bought a replacement battery for my 23 Model T. I noticed the old battery was set up as a positive ground, which as I understand is incorrect. My question is, if I install the battery how it was (positive ground) will the car still run correctly and will the battery still charge? Or do I need to flash the generator and revert to a negative ground? I'm not sure if I should leave everything alone or change everything. The car has been in my family since the 20's, and I'm not sure what has/has not been done. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

Put/connect the battery any way you want it.
Then..... polarize the generator.
There is a slight possibility the battery has been dragged down to completely dead and the charged backwards.
Donít risck running the car with a full charged battery and the generator charging backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

If youíre gonna polarize the gen why not put the battery in negative ground like the T was meant to be?
Oh, and I do know how to spell risk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 01:59 am:

My T is negative ground. Once, I accidentally connected my battery with a positive ground and it completely toasted my generator. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 02:22 am:

If the cut out is working and you connect the battery the wrong way, nothing will happen until you start the engine.
You must polarize the generator before you start the engine.

To polarize the generator just arc a hot wire on the wire that comes out of the generator. One quite spark will do it.
Use a short piece of wire or a pair of plier handles to connect the forward cut out terminal with the rear one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 03:29 am:

UNLESS you have a Fun Projects voltage regulator instead of a standard cut-out! (they look like a normal Ford cut-out). considering you had it hooked up w/positive ground, it's not likely you have a Fun Projects unit, but thought I should mention this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

If the cut out is working and you connect the battery the wrong way, nothing will happen until you start the engine.
You must polarize the generator before you start the engine.

To polarize the generator just arc a hot wire on the wire that comes out of the generator. One quite spark will do it.
Use a short piece of wire or a pair of plier handles to connect the forward cut out terminal with the rear one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:24 pm:

Why not just hook it up properly?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration