Hard start, easy start, hard start, easy start...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hard start, easy start, hard start, easy start...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 12:15 am:

About a year ago my runabout was getting hard to start, so I installed a new set of Autolite 3095 plugs. Problem solved. For awhile. But it gradually returned, with more and more cranking needed for a cold start. So today I replaced the 3095's with four of those Champion X plugs I finished Sunday. Now I'm back to easy cold starts. One choke, one pull, and it's running. Warmed up, one easy pull on BAT gets it going. We'll see how long this lasts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 03:45 am:

Sounds like your plugs foul up. What about a hotter range 3095, if they make them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 03:50 am:

Why the devil do these issues face you Steve? I hope this gets put to rest for you! :-)
The "Champ" 25's in my 24 Runabout have been cleaned once in the last 20 years and they still go. Very nicely. Dizzy setup.
And I don't like "Champ" plugs but it's what I had.
The "new" "Champ" X's in my 18 might need a cleaning. Well, one of them anyway. I think. Stock setup.
Hmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:41 am:

I have never had great life out of new Champions or Autolite spark plugs in any engine. I suspect the metallurgy of the plugs is different from other brands (Bosch, NGK, Motorcraft, AC) that have longer lifetimes. My experience in all engines has been that weaker ignition systems start (and sometimes run) better on Champion/Autolite plugs, but the gaps erode faster than some of the other brands I mentioned. But it would figure that softer metals tend to be more conductive than harder ones. I would tend to take a hard look at the ignition system itself to make sure its output is sufficient for starting the car. Too bad they don't manufacture a double platinum non-resistor 1" NPT plug to fit Model T engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:48 am:

The story goes that every Model T is a little different than another. I have 3 and each one starts and runs a little different.
I guess I've gotten use to it. Occasionally my 21 gets a hard to start fit but after I readjust the carb I can get it going. Most of the time.

I wonder if your T would have easily started if you had used 3095's. From what you've been posting I bet it would have started.
I have a 54 Ford NAA tractor that had a occasionally miss that I could never figure out. All the electrical, plugs, gaps and etc were checked over and over. I just kept driving it and got use to it.
I was about to pull the head and get a valve job and decided to try another distributor cap. I had already replaced it 2-3 times but this time the miss went away and the old tractor runs smooth as silk! I have no idea what I did differently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:59 am:

What about the gasoline you have in it? This stuff we get now goes bad in a month. Also additives are changed for winter and summer, and I think they change alcohol percentages as well. In some states, you can buy non alcohol premium which might help! You don't need the anti knock octane, just the pure gas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Steve, could you please use a larger point size on your distinctive typeface? I'm needing a magnifying glass to read your posts on my "telephone". Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 12:47 pm:

(I used to drive a '79 Toyota Pickup with the 20R engine in it. Went for smoog check and it would miss just about when it was to pass the idle test. Folks on this forum answered the question--plug wires had to be routed just so, and parallel to each other as the factory did them; miss went away! Apparently just a little crossing over each other caused the miss!
Now to figure out why my refrigerator isn't freezing--and yes, the fan is working! Gonna have to eat all the ice cream! (OK truth, I do have another 'fridge in the garage and have moved all that stuff to it, I couldn't eat ALL that Ice Cream at once!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

Steve - I agree with those that say that every Model T is different and that they don't all run the same, but the alternating "hard start, easy start" thing, THAT really is strange! If I didn't know better, and with all the different things you've tried, by now, I guess I'd maybe suspect something like "borderline" compression, like p.s.i. somewhere in the low 20 psi area, but didn't you and Mike Bender just recently rebuilt that engine? Yeah, it sure is a mystery,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

I had this with my '27 Tudor because I hadn't learned to correctly use the carb needle adjustment. Plugs got so bad the first time it happened it wouldn't start at all. I learned the hard way. If you're going thru plugs you've probably got some agonizin' reaprasials about your driving (spark lever & carb needle adj.) habits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

The fuel had nothing to do with the hard starting. I changed the plugs from Autolite 3095 to CXhampion X and the car became easy to start. I didn't change the gas.

Rich, the problem with my typeface is your phone. Here's how it looks on a desktop:

Maybe I should use this size for folks who have "smart" phones.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 07:39 pm:

Steve:

What's you plug gap set at ??.... same for the other plugs in the past ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

I guess you misunderstood my comment. My intent was that maybe you SHOULD change your gas because it may be what is causing the plug problem! Sorry to have upset you, I'll leave now! 42 years as a professional mechanic, own two T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

Had this myself. Personally I think the carbon is settling into the porcelain and not even heating my plugs to orange can get rid of it.. Made the mistake of cleaning my plugs with a wire brush once, the metal streaks were visible in the porcelain when heated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Bob, I've been using the same gap for all of them, between .025" and .030".

WD, You're right, I misunderstood. Maybe it is the gas causing the plug problem. If that's the case, I expect the gas will do the same to the new plugs. You didn't upset me in the slightest. And even if you had, it would be no reason to leave.
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration