Old Photograph - Preston, Iowa on the 4th- "T", "10(?)" & CDO!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photograph - Preston, Iowa on the 4th- "T", "10(?)" & CDO!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Nice photo! I can't make out the number of stars on the flag, but I'd guess more then a century ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Too cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

WOW! Great photo! A brass era Model T and a curved dash Olds, but I wonder what the big car in the middle is? Fourth of July,....really??? Almost looks more like a nice warm late October day,.....??? Certainly not a Spring day, because the street is not muddy.

Strange thing about that beautiful picture though,....wonder why on the Fourth of July in Iowa, there are no leaves on the trees??? Could that photo have the wrong caption? A really nice photograph tho' for sure,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

If we could read the sign on the horse-drawn float it would probably give a clue - all I can read is "TODAY".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

I grew up a few miles from Preston. I wish I could go back there today and find that CDO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 11:49 am:

Perhaps it's actually "Decoration Day", before it was designated "Memorial Day". If I remember right, that was in April down south... that could explain why no leaves. But, as mentioned before, the roads would probably be a mess from mud.

Interesting to think about.

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

Dale, do you own the original or have a high res copy? Can you read the banner?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

It must be in the spring. Behind the CDO is a horse-drawn grain drill, and behind that is a New Idea manure spreader. I can't imagine why someone would want to put their turd hearse in a parade...
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

No leaves on the trees. Earlier than Memorial Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

This is why it would be nice to read the sign. Why a parade with a grain drill and a manure spreader ? Possibly a salesman for an equipment company making field calls - arranged a parade and a brass band to insure a good turnout of prospective customers. That's why traveling salesmen were called "drummers" and the reason for the expression "drumming up business". I recall my great-grandmother's reminiscences of that era in her small farm community, and all the excitement when ". . . A drummer came to town. ". Things were very different then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

What? A CDO? lol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

There's way more people in the parade than watching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

The car in the middle looks alot like an EMF.

Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration