Rubber Valve Stems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rubber Valve Stems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:07 am:

I went to change tires and tubes last night only to discover the rubber valve stems of the replacement tubes I bought (because I was being cheap) won't fit through the holes in my 30x3.5" rims. Now what?

I'd really like to get these things installed soon and a set of metal stem tubes is going to come to around $150 or more by the time they get to me. I don't have any metal stems on hand to install and I think by the time I got all the hardware to switch my existing tubes over I'd be no farther ahead cost-wise.

So hypothetically, if the fit of the rubber stems is close but not quite could I use some combination of reaming the hole in the rim, shaving a little off the stems, and just cramming them in there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:25 am:

You take a real sharp razor blade and remove some of the rubber around the stem. I had to do the same thing, and it has worked so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:34 am:

Tim:

Similar experience a few months ago. Current tubes are made with 9/16" diameter stems.

Model T rims have a 1/2" stem hole..... to fit the then current metal stem tubes.

In all told, there is only one supplier of tires and tubes, no matter what the company name,.... and that is Corky Coker.

Don't beat yourself up, there are no 1/2" diameter stem tubes available thru these suppliers.

Either drill out to 9/16" , or suck it up and get the metal stem tubes and associated hardware.

I would not shave the rubber stems to fit as to compromise integrity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:57 am:

I have mentioned this to Lukas, and Coker many times. I've even given them the correct Schrader number. They don't care! I've replaced most of the valve stems in my cars with original brass stems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Two brand new tubes and tires are now installed, I just barely managed to get the stems to fit. Iíll mount the other two on the weekend.

I think my long-term plan will be to collect up a set of metal valve stems and a better set of demountable rims (mine are just barely serviceable) and swap everything over at once, probably this winter.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration