Wire or wood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wire or wood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

Wire or wood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

Definitely......................w/w's & wires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

No doubt about it - wood all the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

You have the top of the line, Fordor sedan with plated radiator and bumpers. It would have had wire wheels when it came from the factory.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Normally I like wood wheels, but in this case I think that car looks great with the wires on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

wires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ben jermainne on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

I like the wires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

You have two sets of tires. Drive it with both and get use out of the rubber. Never mind the rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Put whitewalls on those wood wheels for a real snappy appearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

Wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Burton on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

How about the wire wheels with the black wall tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

Wires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

The wire wheels in your first picture are Model A Ford wheels. How are they mounted? If not properly supported on correct hubs, they can be dangerous. I'm a big fan of Ford's wire wheels on the Improved cars, but I would choose the wood wheels pictured, over the A wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

Tough question. -Either it right, of course, so it's mostly a matter of taste. -It happens that mine runs toward the Brass-Era, so I'm spring-loaded to default to the clear-varnished, wooden-spoke position. -Gorgeous machine, no matter which wheel type you choose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:41 pm:

Joan Crawford would insist on wood! :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

Part of it is the model A wheels, but the wires look a bit too "heavy footed". And I must, for the sake of full disclosure, say that I too lean toward earlier cars and therefore the wood wheels most cars had in the USA in those days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 11:26 pm:

Uh, I'm certainly no expert, but I'm sitting here bouncing back and forth looking at a T wire wheel and an A wire wheel, and the ones the OP's car are T wires I believe. The center hub cap portion is small - whereas on A wires it's kind of massive.

Regardless! I think the car looks fantastic either way. Definitely very different flavors. It would be awful trying to pick, and I totally understand asking for input cause it looks so good either way. I'll give a complicated answer - purely aesthetic, I think the wire wheels look better. But I think the wood wheels have a better cool factor, and they're way less common. I get more "wait what?!?" Comments from when I had wood wheels. So, if FORCED to pick, I'd put the wood wheels on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 05:49 am:

Seth, they are A wire wheels. The centres are smaller on T wheels. The large hubcaps on A wheels came with the later 19" wheels with the rims that have no round edge like T and early A wheels.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 06:37 am:

Why not both?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 06:50 am:

I'm a wood guy. Not inferring anything there " Not that there's anything wrong with that " got a pile of wire wheels because I prefer the wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 07:47 am:

Wire without a doubt. Stronger, more dependable, less to no chance of failing because you didn't notice something coming loose or wearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 08:12 am:

I'm a sucker for wire wheels and wide whites. Wires all the way and sell the wood wheels to those that prefer them :-)

Your car with wood......boring
Your car with the wires, stunning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Petoskey, MI on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 08:19 am:

Not all cars... but I do like the words and whitie-tighties on yours...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Houston---WNC on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 08:29 am:

Use the wood wheels-The wires make it look like Model "A" to most people
Just my observation---davids

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 08:58 am:

The average person wouldn't know the difference between the T or A wires but the wires look good on a T I have to admit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:12 am:

Left side as wire.
Right side as wood.
Then you could have the best of both. All depending on what side you're look at.
It might drive a little funny,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:31 am:

Steve, look closer at the wooden wheel pic...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:43 am:

They're both nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Tim, I stand corrected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:38 am:

Yes, Norrie's wires are Model A. They have ribs pressed in them between the holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:44 am:

I like em both and would probably just toss a coin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

I don't see any adapters (on the fronts anyway) to mount the A wheels to the T spindles. How did you do that??? Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 02:29 pm:

The fronts almost look like they have a flat black backplate behind the wire wheel hubs. Do you have brakes hiding in there too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

Just to help on this discussion about are they Model A wire wheels or Model T wire wheels, I would add that Model A and Model T wire wheels have a slightly different diameter bolt circle pattern. The dia. of the Model A bolt circle is slightly larger than the Model T. I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but I want to say 5" dia. on the Model T and 5 1/2" on the Model A. Again, not sure exactly, but I do know that the Model A bolt circle dia. is slightly larger,.....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

Harold

Correct, the Model A 21" wires are 5 1/2" centers. You can see the adapter plate in the close-up and one stud welded in place for these A wheels on T wood wheel front hub.

Compare to Model T 21" wire wheel with 5" centers on T wire wheel front hub.

And for choice on wheel type on the Fordor, those Ford wires look good in the correct color combo for the body color :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

I must thank everybody for their very positive replies!!!! The majority of you fabulous individuals seem to favour the wire wheels.I purchased the car two years ago with the wooden wheels on the car and was very happy with it...............................however in the paperwork that I got with the car there was an old photographs from 1973 and this car was sitting on its original wire wheels. I have returned it to its former glory albeit they are a wheels .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

I never could understand why the guys that gotta find fault with those who have something not factory stock but yet they just love white walled tires.
Neither model T or model A ever came out of a Ford factory with white wall tires.
Just imagine how much nicer that T pictured above would look with all black tires. The wire wheels would stand out much better.
Those are not 19 inch model A wheels.
They have the tube-like edge on the rim and the hub cap is too small and not flat like the 30 - 31 model A.i

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration