O T Old Car Related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: O T Old Car Related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:56 am:

I need some guidance on something I've never had to deal with before, persistent oil leaks! When I got ready to fire up my Maxwell for the first time I filled it with 30W non detergent from Shell and when I came out to the garage the next morning my newly assembled motor was leaking like a sieve. Online research revealed I'd been sold mislabeled synthetic oil which is known to leak in older motors. I've disassembled it twice and cleaned and made new cork gaskets and refilled with non detergent oil all to no avail. I'm about to add detector dye and see if I can pinpoint the exact points of leakage and do something I've NEVER done in over half a century of motor rebuilding and that's to slather it up with sealer to try and stop this annoying problem. Does anyone have a leak proof sealer they can recommend that has always worked for them. Don't care if it's one of the old time sealers or something space age designed specifically to stop this crappy synthetic oil from ruining my restoration, garage floor and marriage!!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Try Right Stuff with your gaskets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith McGowan on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

I have used Permatex #2 gasket sealer for years. It does not harden so things can be taken apart later and things have never leaked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

What model Maxwell? My 11 AB is not designed to hold oil. It is a total loss oil system. You add oil to a tank on the firewall, what goes in leaks out. It does retain a small amount in the engine and a small amount in the transmission , then runs out the tail shaft. You turn off the oil feed when you stop it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 12:46 am:

Hey John, mine is a late 1917 Maxwell Model 25.
If I didn't know better I'd swear mine was a total loss system as well!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 10:30 am:

I have gone back to using Permatex #2 gasket sealer. If you use the modern stuff, I would suggest assembling everything just snug, letting cure overnight then do a final tightening. I think that is the instructions on the tube anyway. If you are assembling casting to casting sealing should not be such a problem, but if it's say pressed sheet metal like the pan, getting too tight can distort the metal and leave bows or gaps between the bolts. What type gasket material you use, too thick/thin or too hard could be causing some of the issues. I will not ask why you would want to use non-detergent oil in it if it is clean and overhauled engine! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration