FJ - Time to retire .....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: FJ - Time to retire .....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Kind of bittersweet morning for me ....

Retired my custom 34 ft. enclosed car hauler trailer.

It has served me well over the past (3) years but it was time
for a new trailer - my new 30 foot custom enclosed car hauler sits next to it - it is waiting for a Nosecone to be installed.

How fitting that the last car hauled in it was this remarkable
largely original 1914 Model T that I picked up yesterday in Florida ... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 11:53 am:

How about some more pictures of the 1914 T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 11:55 am:

May I see a close up of the hitch?
Also,what was the thoughts behind going shorter? It would seem to me that would limit the size or amount of cars you could carry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

A 30 footer would still enable Jim to carry 2 Model Ts. The only limitations I can see is itíll carry only 4 cycle cars instead of the longer trailerís 5. How many multiples of cycle cars have you transported Jim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

John,

The 1914 Model T will be in Richmond for the National Tour & Homecoming.

My initial impression is that it is a largely original car.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

Mack,

The tongue is extended to 5 feet - this allows for placement of a modified steel mesh cargo carrier & tool box installed in a manner that does not interfere with the tow vehicle turning radius.

Both can be found at most Walmart Supercenters for around $100 total.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

John,

At 34 feet - my last trailer was simply too long.

30 feet allows me to transport a Model T or similar smaller
vehicle along with a full size vehicle.

I designed a loft for storage & sleeping that now has cross ventilation with the slider windows I added on the new trailer.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Looks like the new one is waiting for decals to be installed on the rear door, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

I'm assuming that you are getting the new trailer because you are running out of space for more decals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Note the Coca Cola relief in the brick building:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:10 pm:

Decals ....

I have been saving up for the new trailer.

Canít find another ď Stay Back 50 Feet ď - that was for emergency vehicles - it really lit up at night when the headlights hit it.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

FJ - That "loft for storage and/or sleeping" up front is a great idea Jim. One feature of almost all vehicles is that the first five or six feet of most cars is only as high as the hood or top of radiator cap. That means that most vehicles can be loaded all the way to the nose of the trailer with front of vehicle tucked under the loft.

Also, one other note,....you mentioned the nose cone:

I did considerable "research" before I bought my enclosed trailer, and altho' I finally decided on a vee-nose, I have been led to believe that the bulb shape nose cone is just as aerodynamically efficient as the vee-nose, if not even better! When you look at how most modern semi-tractor trailer rigs as well as RV trailers are now being built, that seems to verify the efficiency of the bulb shaped nose cone,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

Someone led you down the wrong path.

The only thing v nose design saves is raw material in building a trailer.

In exchange you sacrifice usable floor space.

A nose cone will actually save you 1 to 3 mpg.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

Jim, When you're taking a rest from the steering wheel, google Keep Back 50 Feet stickers. You'll find an assortment to choose from. I didn't see one exactly like you had, but decals with the same wording. You'll, also, find stickers for 100 feet, 200 feet, and even 500 feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

Jim,

Thank you for that advice.

I went to this site & just ordered some safety decals for the back of my new trailer:

@ https://www.safetysign.com/

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:29 am:

Can you get one that says:

DANGER. STAY AWAY!
THE DRIVER DOES WEIRD THINGS WITHOUT THINKING.

If you can get two.
I need one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:47 am:

Ok,that settles my question on the tongue and hitch.The other 1 had a failure awhile back and you had to have it welded.This 1 is solid and uncut.
I want to look into a "nose" for my flat bed to protect what I am hauling from flying stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 09:52 am:

Fred...lately with all the morons invading the highways, I think a LOT of cars need this on their bumper!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:18 am:

Some new bumper stickers ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:24 am:

I like that FBI one FJ. Reminds me of the license plate on the 31 SW Model A that my Aunt bought for a parts car. Only FBI had a slightly different meaning. :-) - Mat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

Jim, My Dad used to have a sign in his office that said: "I Consider The Day Lost, If I Don't Catch HELL About Something".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

Hi Jim,

I hope that you enjoy many safe and rewarding miles with your new trailer. Bill

This is rather large for a sticker, but the concept is fun:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

It's amazing how many original unrestored 1914's are still around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Harmon on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

I So wish I could find a sticker like that!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 02:43 am:

Jim, Now all you need is some Vortex Generators for the back sides and top of your trailer and you'll have to stop and drain out some of that extra gas!

Do Goggle the little generators though. I have them on my trailer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 05:56 am:

Gene,

I didn't know what those were called ....

I did do a search & am thinking of buying these:

@ https://www.raneystruckparts.com/vortex-generator-fuel-saver-ecofins/

$208 for a pack of (80) works out to be $2.60 each.

My first full day of towing the nosecone trailer was yesterday - I saw an increase of 1.5 to 2.0 mpg in fuel savings along with a notable increase in towing speed of about 5 mph.

I am a believer ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

FJ, That's exactly what I have. I got mine from a long haul trucker locally here on Craigslist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

If you use a nose cone and a bunch of vortex generators will you have to stop more often to empty the gas tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Those are also known as Air Tabs. We used them on our semi trailers. Really won't do anything for fuel mileage, but will stabilize the trailer. Kind of like tying a tail on a kite, especially in cross winds. It will also throw the air and water in rainy weather further back, and actually giving you better visibility in rainy/wet conditions. You will see a lot of owner operators with them, but fleets don't see any improvement in the bottom line, so they don't buy them. Owner operators like it because of the stability it adds, and the visibility.

Self adhesive, easy to install and can be painted to match the vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

Terry, I never thought about the saying on your dad's sign quite that way before and I've lived it. :-) I like it!
I'm gonna steal it at some point... ;-)
Nice trailer FJ! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration