Backfireing ?? WHY ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Backfireing ?? WHY ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard Farmland, NJ on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

My T sometimes backfires when I shut it off any ideas why ? Thank you for any and all advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

May have a warped/burnt exhaust valve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Describe your shut down procedure. Do you idle down and return the levers to the start position or something else ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

Close the throttle completely and let the engine slow down to idle speed with throttle closed before shutting off the ignition. The engine spinning faster than idle (especially with throttle set at anything over idle position) tends to fill the exhaust pipe/muffler with unburned gasoline vapor because the engine quits burning the mixture as soon as ignition is shut off. The mixture then flows into exhaust and is ignited (as in BOOM) by a hot spot in exhaust system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

Charlie - you beat me to it, with fewer words! Simultaneous typing,.....(:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard Farmland, NJ on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 09:23 am:

Thank you for the info. I will try that next time. Shutting down the idle first.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration