ENGINE NEEDED!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: ENGINE NEEDED!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Rising on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

Hi All,
30 miles west of White River SD.
The 11 broke a crank.
Were discussing options.
A replacement engine/transmission is one.
Shipping the car home is the other.
We can be reached at 3five2 87five seventeen hundred.
Thanks,
Jon
https://ca2vabyt.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

SCAT crank. Bound to be a machine shop somewhere that can match the new crank journals with the rod/main bearings. Ross Lilleker is hugely knowledgeable in this operation and mobile. He installed a SCAT in my 14. Love it. Id put one in the 10 too just be cause a broken crank can DESTROY AN ENGINE. Or Id have confidence in Scott Conger. He closer. What do you have; 65% of your trip ahead of you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Rising on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 03:50 pm:

Were more than halfway.
We wont take the time to rebuild to that degree.
A replacement engine we can do overnight.
Thanks though.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

Jon, I broke a crank on my 23 touring in 76 on the Glidden Tour in Colorado Springs. I installed a new crank overnight but I was 26 at the time. Ross is crazy fast and accurate. Id still overnight a SCAT and buy him a plane ticket. Im sure enjoying your daily blog on that wonderful, epic trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

BUMP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

There's a rebuilt 1921 short block in the classified for$450.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

Jon:
during the Centennial tour some years back one of the Aussie group fit a used crankshaft to his existing mains and rods George Schounhaur (sp) was at my shop for 3 days to do the disassembly , inspection of parts to be re-used and then the detailed fitting of each bearing and re-assembly , reinstall and testing Spradley-Barr Ford sent a ramp bed truck to transport George and his wife to Steamboat to rejoin the tour group all at the very reasonable fee of "A Smile and Thankyou "...
if you have access to decent working conditions and a hoist and engine stand , you may be able to do the same with a new or good used crankshaft... George drove on this used crankshaft for several years before it also BROKE
if all other components are good then replacing a crankshaft is not too difficult good luck ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:04 am:

I think that the question is
Does anyone near White River SD have a T motor for sale?

It could be expanded to
Does anyone have a T motor for sale that could be shipped to a place 30 miles west of White River SD in a couple days?

But Im just an old Yankee that cant remember if I took my meds this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Rising on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:41 am:

Thanks to all that offered advice and assistance.
Our entire journey was scheduled within a loose window of time allowing for problems along the way.
We slowly eroded that block of time and now its become the deciding factor.
Weve determined that shipping the 11 home is the most viable option and were still trying to decide what to do with the 10.
Thanks again to those that reached out to us,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

Update?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:25 am:

No more daily email updates so Jon was evidently riding in the home-bound 11. But is the 10 continuing east?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:40 am:

Yes, the 10 is going to continue east. I get the impression the young kids have had enough of their adventure, but maybe I misread today's post.

Two people will continue east.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

I was sorry to hear about the Crank. It's never good news and looks like it hopefully didn't damage the block.

We all really enjoyed getting the daily updates and pictures. Thanks and Good Luck with the rest of the journey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Apparently they are going forward with one car, 2 drivers, and a passenger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:22 pm:

Too bad I didnt read this post a couple of days ago. I have a spare 17 engine thats ready to drop in and go. I only live about six hours from where they broke down. I couldve sold the motor and delivered it personally, for about the same cost as three plane tickets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 09:48 am:

Find a late crank for a replacement. Those early ones do break sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 10:53 am:

I've broken two of the early diamond shaped cranks & will never use one of them again. If I find an engine I'm having rebuilt and it has the newer style crank & magnafluxing shows a crack, I'll use a Scat.

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration