Need black edge trim for roadster top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need black edge trim for roadster top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

My 1915 roadster came with an uninstalled top. The top is cobra grain, which I believe is not correct for 1915, but since I already have it, I plan to install it on my car. The top does not have a roll up rear curtain(which would also not be correct for a 1915), but most folks agree that a roll up rear curtain is a very worthwhile feature to have. Since my top is incorrect anyway, I have decided to convert my fixed rear curtain to a roll up style. Since the top is cobra grain, all the edges have the following black edge trim, which appears to be vinyl:

In order to convert the rear curtain to the roll up style, I will need some additional edge trim to finish off the edges of the rear curtain after I make my modifications.

Does anyone know of a source for the edge trim that I need. It doesn't need to be a perfect match, but I would like as close as I can find.

Thank you,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Contact Classtique for the binding. He sells it by the foot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Ford didn't use anything like that. But, as Erik suggested, I'm sure Mike at Classtique could help you. The problem is, he would have to have your top to do it. Otherwise, a good local top shop could probably help you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

You will need something "stronger" than a home clothing sewing machine too. Although an old White Rotary treadle machine would probably do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

A Singer 15-91 or 201, both antique gear driven machines, will do the job.

Shop around and you will likely find one at a reasonable price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

A local upholstery and trim shop should be able to do the sewing for you. That's a lot easier than chasing down an industrial/commercial Singer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

I am considering using the local upholstery shop for the sewing, but I do have a Singer 15-91 and a Pfaff 260, so I will see what works best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 01:11 am:

I believe in order to get it as perfect as possible as shown in the photo in your original post, a binder attachment or a bias binding foot is required for the sewing machine.

The attachment curls/folds the binder in half so it straddles the edge of the fabric and also ensures that the stitching is a uniform distance from the edge.

Just thinking out loud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration