Commutator Wiring Hard To Do or Easy?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Commutator Wiring Hard To Do or Easy?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

I was able to install the headlight wiring harness with the help of a good friend and fellow MTFCA member.
I now want to tackle the passenger side headlight/commutator harness.
Looks like tight quarters.
Any tips or advice?

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

Gene-
Just follow the pictures on the diagrams.
: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Remove the timer.

Attach the wires to the timer and then reinstall the timer on the timing gear cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Thank you Erik.
That's what i was wondering and should've been more clear in my post.
I wasn't sure how to get in that tight space with my fat 10 thumbs fingers.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 09:53 am:

It's not that hard. Just take your time. I've completely rewired two cars in about half hour or so each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:04 am:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:12 am:

The easiest way to do it is have a friend do the work.
The second easiest way to do the wiring is to remove the radiator.
The third is to remove the timer.
The fourth is to do it in place

I donít do #1 because it would cost me too much beer.
Attaching the wires on #2 is easy but removing the radiator is not easy.
Like you my fingers are big (also my eyesight is poor) so #4 is out.
That leaves #3. Just make sure that there is enough slop in the wires to allow the timer to move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Once you disconnect the rod and loosen the clip and, you should be able to very easily remove the timer and bring past the radiator and out of the engine compartment so it will be out in the open. You can lay it on the hood shelf if need be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 03:05 pm:

Thanks guys.
I do have plenty of beer at this time, but will try Erik and Fred's #3.
If anyone wants to watch me, you can have a couple of beers.

Thanks,

Gene

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration