Front Axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Front Axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Goble on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:48 am:

Is there a front and back to an axle? I have a good axle and need to install the perches, is there a right way and wrong way to do this? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 10:58 am:

No but check for straightness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 11:06 am:

Perches must be installed correctly or you will have negative caster. Top of kingpin will be tilted slightly rearward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 11:38 am:

Simply put, the axle has no front and back but the perches do. See the MTFCA axle book for instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Goble on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 11:20 pm:

The odd number perch is left and the even number is right

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:27 am:

John, as others have said, there is no front of back in the axle. As long as you have a pair of left and right perches, they can go into the axle as you like. Once installed, then the assembly has a front and back. With the shackle holes horizontal, the axle should then be tilted back at the top. This sets tbe caster.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:57 am:

Well, with all said above is correct, there would be a front and a back to the axle if the spindle stub axles are already fitted to the axle, they are left and right as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 01:08 am:

Frank, once the frame is attached it would become obvious!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 01:35 am:

True Allan but only if the spindle arms are fitted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 11:35 am:

I just changed the spindles around on my 1913 Speedster, the right side was installed on the left side and the left side was installed on the right side. While I was add it I rebuilt the front axle. I found the spindles were wrong when I was taking the left front wheel off to repack the bearings. You can tell, RH spindle should have Left handed threads and LH spindle should have Right hand threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:28 pm:

It is important to have the shackles correct for correct castor. It is also important to have the spindles correct. They should be installed so that the nut will turn in the direction which would unscrew as the wheel turns forward. If you have them backward it is possible that the spinning of the wheel will tighten the bearing and lock the wheel from spinning which would be like putting on a one wheel brake and pull the car to the side. There is a washer with a tab which fits into the groove in the spindle and then the nut is tightened and the cotter pin installed which will keep the nut and bearing from coming unscrewed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

Arrange the spring perches so that the top of the axle is leaned back from the bottom, like so:

pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration