Bosch front plate type distributor questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Bosch front plate type distributor questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Bosch front plate with 009 distributor. New shaft and gears. It's doing the hula-hoop! I machined the groove to allow space for the lever at the top plus a little extra. So far have added a .005 shim around most of the base, leaving space to the retaining pin to work. Shes doing as someone suggested, the hula-hoop dance. I may not have gotten the plate as centered as it should be, but the instructions are kinda vague in that regards. Could be old wear at the top and/or where the shaft rides at the bottom. Any ideas or suggestions?
Also, seem to be loosing a lot of oil out the lower shaft hole esp with the hogs head oilier. Right now I have a cork in it. Do you guys put a plug there or?
Thanks
Mark, thinking of putting a grass skirt on it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

To add: I did some checking today, the gear on the shaft is only coming in contact with the cam gear on it's lower half. Looks like at best I could move the gear down only approx 1/8" before it would bottom out on the casting. I could do one of two things, redrill the hole for the gear or machine off some of the distributor casting. Only problem is with machining is the pin part of the lock bolt would not engage the slot where the ring is currently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 07:24 pm:

I imagine the cork would get you by for a while... But there should be a “cup” style plug installed in the bottom of the timing cover to seal below the distributor shaft.

As for the hula, I’ve encountered this before. It was a lower distributor shaft that was ordered from a major vendor, and was made incorrectly. The bore that attaches to the bottom of the VW distributor was machined at an angle relative to the centerline of the main shaft. It caused the distributor body to wobble as the as the shaft turned. If I remember correctly... I bored and sleeved the new lower shaft to correct the alignment issue and allow the 2 shafts to run concentrically. Been running ever since... with no hula

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

This is very interesting to me, as I am in the process of installing one of these from Chaffin. Hopefully I won’t have a problem!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Ok, that is good info. I do see that were the VW shaft fits into the extension it's a bit on the loose side too. Guess I can take it to the machine shop we use, my chuck is off a couple of thousands and I don't have any way to grip it other wise.
I was thinking cup type plug but all I had was a cork on hand. There was noting in the hole when I got it. Hopefully I can work a plug in with out pulling it. I think I can pull the bolt and nut under it, get it started, reinstall the bolt and nut and use it for a pry point to work up and in.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration