Rear Axle Disassembly Has Started

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rear Axle Disassembly Has Started
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 05:03 pm:

The axles appear worn where the bearings were. I do see someone's footprints; bronze thrust washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

Looks like a nice rebuildable unit. Wire ties on the nuts is incorrect- should be cotter pins...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

Tim, that's an early differential with studs not bolts that hold the two housings together. The wire is correct. I would take the drive shaft assembly apart and rebuild that and replace the worn axles with good ford ones and put it back together.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

Did you "mic" the axles, that looks mighty even to be wear--but hard to tell from a picture. If it was that clean when you took it apart, someone has been in there recently! Many axle shafts are larger than the bearing area, which is turned to provide the correct finish & diameter for the bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

Judging by the careful, aircraft-style wire work it’s been rebuilt for sure. You might be lucky enough for this to be a “mic everything and stick it back together” job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 04:52 pm:

Any suggestions for a more effective puller? I haven't put much energy into this because I really don't want to break the gear.

And...

How can I determine if the housings are truly straight?

Is there someone here on the Forum that knows how to determine this, and straighten them if they are not already straight?

I'm coming to the Homecoming and could bring them if that would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 05:01 pm:

I had to take my axles to a machine shop with a 30 ton press to get the side gears off. My little 8 ton press at home was too wimpy.

Regarding evaluating the housings:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/216795.html?1307743846

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/188344.html?1297335103

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/857309.html?1523894401

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

Bill

You'll never pull the gear off the axle that way. The lock ring holds it on, be sure to get the Service Manual and follow it.

Take the Service Manual page open to axle gear removal and replace, and the old and new axle to a machine shop if you don't have a press and tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

If you don't have a hard copy of the service manual, Mr Cimorelli has them in digital form.
http://cimorelli.com/mtdl/servicemanual/default.htm
I was expecting to see 100 year old carnage but wow! What a beauty.
Those are original axles aren't they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

I had to use my 28 ton press to get the axle gears off. Very tight off and on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Unless there is something wrong with either the gear or the axle, there is no need to take the gears off of the axles. The axles appear to be ok. Usually the outer bearings/ axles are where they wear the most because they are run dry. The bearings near the differential usually never wear out. It appears to be a quality job. The axles are only machined where the bearings run and because of how the bearings are made the rest of the axle can actually be bigger than the bearing area, and they will still go together. Get a caliper and measure the axle, it is 1- 1/16" or 1.0625. Can I ask what was the problem with the rear axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:53 am:

Hello Bill:
Maybe this helps. Https://youtu.be/bnlCCugAC3y...bent rear housing correction and repair.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:58 am:

Hello Bill:
Maybe this helps. Https://youtu.be/bnlCCugAC3y. Bent rear housing correction and repair.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 01:04 am:

https://youtu.be/bnlCCugAC3Y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 01:38 am:

Bill, I'm with John. I can't see anything of great concern in tbis. The quality of work suggezts somebody who knew thekr stuff.
If you reassemble the axles and the diff centre, put the assembly back into the housings and bolt them up, you will have an indication of how true tbe housings are. Just work the axles up and down and from side to sode. If the deflection is more or less the same, you are good to go. Do this for both sides.
Sometimes we get lucky. It looks go me tbat you are on a winner here.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Maybe there is more then what we can see in the photos, but I do not see anything to be concerned about. A little pitting in the axle, as long as it is smooth over all, the bearings are pretty forgiving. How fast and how far do you plan on driving it? If only a few hundred miles a year, it should last a long time as is. Check the diameter of the bearing area on the axles, now if they are way under sized that is a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 10:37 am:

Bill,

That rear end looks to be in great condition! Even the axles appear to be good originals in great shape. Double check your clearances. If all is within spec, that rear end should easily outlast most anyone. Lucky you! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration