Model T drive to Key West?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Model T drive to Key West?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

Has anybody here ever done it? I wonder how dangerous it would be. Is there a minimum speed limit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

Be careful on six mile bridge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

You have no business on a 2 lane highway where you can't be passed and getting passed isn't the big problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

Chuck Azevado (sp?) lives there and has posted before not to do it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

The real issue is getting around Miami, traffic is horrendous there. From Homestead onward is busy but very doable which we pulled off to let traffic pass. We spent two days going from Key Largo and two days coming back staying at Marathon each time. Marathon is at the end of the seven mile bridge which we crossed early to avoid some traffic. We visited a turtle hospital and bird sanctuary on our way to Key West. The drive is just outstanding. In Key West we visited the fort, lighthouse, Duvall Street, aquarium and saw great sunsets. All in all, drivers were very courteous to us. Of all the experiences in a T, this would probably the best I have experienced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

The drive from the entrance of Everglades national park to Flamingo and back would be fun, I rode it several times by bicycle. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 01:55 am:

Yes it has been done lots of times. The important part is the time of day and day of the week to avoid the heaviest traffic. ie not driving down on Friday afternoon, but on Sunday morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:17 am:

Steve, The biggest advice I can give is not try it this time of year. Its just to hot down here this time of year. I'm hoping to do that trip someday. Maybe if you want to try it around December / January Id be glad to go with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Paul Larson from IA and 5 or 6 other T's hauled there cars there in the early 1990's and headed to the International Tour in Tacoma Washington. The trip took about a month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

As I recall, most of the trip has a 45 MPH speed limit. Winding up the touring I can get to that.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

It has been my experience that here in sunny SW Florida where the roads tend to be flat and straight, folks driving modern cars do the speed limit plus 10 or 15 mph. That means (obviously) that if you are driving on a 45 mph road at 35 or 40 mph in your T, cars and trucks coming up on you will be closing at speeds 25 mph or so above yours. I would plan my trip to travel at the lowest traffic period possible, and I use a magnetic flashing LED red light on the back of my T. I'd also be sure that my life insurance policy is paid up, and I would have protection from uninsured motorists on my car insurance. I believe that it is the AAA that found that 23.6% of all Florida motorists are (illegally) uninsured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

Would be suicidal if you ask me! Plus all that distance at 40-45 mph which would be necessary--well your engine better be in darned good condition! Plus..as I can barely recall the last time I drove a modern car to Key West it.took the better part of the afternoon adter Miami to get there. It would be one long hot dangerous drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

I might add that another 15% of all Florida drivers should have had their licenses revoked 10 years ago while the majority of the rest of them are full time multitaskers driving and doing their nails, texting, reading the newspaper or putting on their makeup. There is a reason why our insurance rates are so high in Florida. When our south Florida Model T group was planning a tour to the Keys, I opted out. Apart from all the other issues you sure wouldn't want to break down with no place to get off the road

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

Hey, guys, there are a few Florida drivers who pay attention to the road, drive the speed limit, don't tailgate, don't hog others off in traffic, and didn't move here from somewhere else. You forgot to mention us. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

Hey, guys, there are a few Florida drivers who pay attention to the road, drive the speed limit, don't tailgate, don't hog others off in traffic, and didn't move here from somewhere else. You forgot to mention us. :-(

Steve, the drive to Key West was once a beautiful, scenic drive. However, the mangrove trees have been protected and allowed to grow wild for a long time and they block the view of almost everything. The water is blue and clear and really something to see. About the only time you'll see any of it is when you're on a bridge.

The other downer is Key West itself. I've been there twice over the years and it's such a freak show it just makes you want leave. Or throw up.

If you decide to make the trip please do it during the winter as others have mentioned and don't dare travel through central Florida without stopping by. We'll have a guest room ready for you. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

Test. Something ain't working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

Maybe it's fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Have lived in south Florida 95% of my life (now almost 61). Don't do it!! The road to Key West is often filled with tourists paying more attention to the pretty colors than their driving. How fast you will be able to drive will be an issue. Closing speeds will be too great and this will make it too dangerous. Remember this a two lane road the whole way with long bridges and no where to pull off for breakdowns or to let people by. When people get "stuck" behind a slow moving vehicle they become impatient and do stupid things down there like trying to pass when they shouldn't. The extra bridges you see in pictures are the old bridges from the original highway that is now closed. If you want to do a trip to KW in an antique car it sounds like fun but would not recommend a T. Maybe a Model A (sacrilege) with an overdrive that can cruise nicely at at LEAST 55. Don't even get me started on the driving habits of the inhabitants of Miami and you pretty much have to go through there to get there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration