Removing TT rear axle sleeve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Removing TT rear axle sleeve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig bothwell on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Trying to remove rear axle sleeves on my TT. Removal tool will
not travel all the way into the axle housing. Removed grease cup
as I thought this might help. Didn't. With limited view, looks like
there is a retaining ring ?? or something else preventing tool from engaging.

As always, suggestions advice, etc greatly appreciated.

Craig Bothwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

If the sleeve is installed correctly, the sleeve hole that the pin in the tool should pop into is lined up with the grease cup (that's how grease from the cup gets through the sleeve into the bearing rollers). Check the tool against the location of the grease cup to make sure that the spring loaded pin can go in far enough to pop into the hole in the sleeve. If not, modify the tool as required.

Not a TT, just a regular T, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDcmsir6bPU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

The currently available pullers need to be modified/lengthened to be able to pull a sleeve if the axle shaft is still in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

I used a piece of 2" pipe, drilled a hole near the end on one side, installed a bolt and nut with the bolt head out and used it as a puller. Be sure to use a bolt with a head just slightly smaller than the hole.

To compress the dimple I used a socket that had an outside diameter just a little less than the diameter of the dimple hole. Put the socket on the dimple and compress it with a C-clamp.

This, a little colorful language and some sweat will pop them right out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

No one has asked or posted, the TT sleeve removal tool is larger than the regular car sleeve removal tool. Do you have the TT tool? I know it may be a dumb question but it may also be the correct question. Just Checking.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig bothwell on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 11:52 pm:

Update:

First, thank you for all of your input.
I modified the TT sleeve removal too and was
successful in removing the sleeve.

Mission accomplished.

Craig Bothwell

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration