Windshield glass replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Windshield glass replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Looking to replace the windshield glass in the 1919 Roadster. Not sure if the glass in there is safety glass. When I measure the top section of glass, it's 7/32" thick. The bottom glass is 5/16" thick. Why would there be two thicknesses? Can I use the existing channels for one thickness of glass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

The original glass from Ford was plate glass. You can tell whether your windshield glass is plate or laminated (safety) glass using the reflection test:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/816028.html?1512852328

My Ford glass book doesn't call out the thickness of windshield glass, only the height, width, corner and edge treatments required, sorry.

I took the windshield frames from my 1924 cut-off touring car (now a pickup) and my 1925 touring body to my local glass shop and asked them to replace the original plate glass with laminated glass, so they selected the laminated glass thickness that fit best. The total cost for all four frames was under $300.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

I do see two reflections in both panes but the top glass rings like a bell when taped with a coin. Bottom glass has a dull thud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 06:56 pm:

Look at the edge of the glass, you will see two layers of glass with a thin layer of plastic between them if it is laminated safety glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

Looking at the edge I see no lamination at all. Looks like one piece

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Just an idea....go to a flat glass installer (house glass vs auto glass) and it won't cost quite as much. I took the thickest safety glass he had but I don't remember the spec.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

Hey Mark is that refection test fool proof, I just checked my windshield which I would have bet money on that it was the original plate glass and I saw 2 reflections with a lighter! I was pleasantly surprised Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

It worked for me, but I can't give it a personal guarantee. The sure method is to look at the edge of the glass for signs of the three layers - two layers of glass, separated by a thin layer of strong plastic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

On an original windshield, if you look at the edge is it a smooth rounded edge or is it a square edge. Mine is smooth and rounded, it looks like it could be multilayered but I cant be certain. I tried to take a picture of the edge but it wouldn't come out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

Doug,

Smack it with a hammer. If it breaks in sharp shards it's not safety glass and if it breaks into little round beads it is! :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Your a genius Denny, why didnt I think of that!!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 07:03 pm:

If you're using a digital camera to take a picture of the edge of the glass, try using the "macro" setting. That will allow you to get a sharp closeup.

There is a file size limit of 250K per picture on this forum. You can insert multiple pictures in a single post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

No Mark, my phone. The edge on the glass is smoothed so much that you cant see if it is laminated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

Try wiping the edge with a mild solvent, maybe it will help the plastic layer show up better (if it is there).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

ok thanks Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

If you still can't be sure of what you have, I would suggest taking your windshield frames to a glass place for them to look at and make a determination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 11:21 pm:

I went to my local glass company, gave them the dimensions and specified safety glass. They said ok but 'We don't do automotive'. So I said heavens no, automotive? What's that? But this will be safety glass right? They assured me it would be and did it for less than $100. Perfect fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Petoskey, MI on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 10:48 am:

I took my frames, complete with original plate glass and brass material to hold the glass in... to Henderson Glass up by Pontiac, MI... I only asked for them to remove the old glass for proper dimensions, and attempt to save the brass strips, so I could see if I needed to source new ones. I already had the screws pulled from the retention clips.

When I went to pick them up... he said he was able to salvage and reuse the brass, and everything was back together! I'm thinking I will just leave as is, rather than pull apart and paint the inside of the channels.

Total was < $225.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration