1915 Touring in the Yellowstone Historic Center

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1915 Touring in the Yellowstone Historic Center
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

In West Yellowstone, MT the old train depot has been converted into a museum. There currently is a 1915 model T touring on display. This is the same year and model as the car issued the first permit to enter Yellowstone Park. The car looks to have been restored some time ago but seems pretty much authentic.

On display are many interesting items and history of the town and the park. I found an original YPC bus drivers cap and a fishing fly case of interest. It seems they did know Flies from ShinolA.

If you find yourself in that area you might want to check it out.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

1915 and that T are notable as prior to that, no motor vehicles were allowed to travel through the Park. Visitors toured in Concord coaches pulled by teams of four to six horses. Arguably the last stagecoach holdup occurred in Yellowstone Park about that time. A lone horseman held up a YP coach, relieved the passengers of their spare cash and watches and disappeared into the rough country of the park and never was apprehended. One of the passengers from "back east" declared that the adventure was the best $50 he ever spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

In a somewhat similar vein:

This photo is in the Louis W. Hill collection of the Minnesota Historical Society.

When James Couzens, his wife and daughter stayed at the Glacier Park Lodge, Louis Hill played a joke on him.

When Couzens checked into the hotel, the family was picked up in the lobby in a 1915 Ford which was then driven down the hallway of the lodge whereupon the Couzens were delivered to their room.

My father and I researched this photo years ago and found it out had been published in the Ford Times. My dad subsequently wrote a story for Vintage Ford.

The original photo looks much better and sharper in person. I could only get a low resolution version of it online. James Couzens, his wife and daughter are sitting in the back seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

There were a couple of illegal Yellowstone auto entries before 1915. Henry G. Merry's adventure in a Winton Motor Carriage to Mammoth Hot Springs in 1902 was one notable one:

http://www.yellowstonegate.com/2012/05/yellowstone-history-first-car-1902/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration