Making the paint look better - having Model T fun.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Making the paint look better - having Model T fun.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith McGowan on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

About 3 months ago I bought a 1915 touring. The car seemed to lack power in high gear. After some investigating I decided to pull the head. I noticed the exhaust valve on # 3 cylinder was not opening and closing at the proper times. I then learned that the adjusting bolt for the adjustable lifter was broken. I also noticed that all the cylinders had minor scoring. I removed the .060 high compression domed pistons and honed the cylinders. I ordered a new bolt for the lifter, new rings, and a gasket set and put it back together. I started it and found that cylinder 3 was not firing. That turned out to be a bad coil. It will be interesting to drive it with all four cylinders working.

While waiting for parts I decided to sand and buff the paint, which had a lot of dirt and orange peel in it. I have now done both front fenders, the top of the hood, the cowl, part of the hood former, the driver's side before the rear door and the driver's side splash apron. It has made a remarkable difference.
The pictures show how the paint looked before sanding and buffing, and after. I will go over it one more time with a finer polish to bring out the shine.

Model TModel T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 02:03 am:

With a lot of elbow grease, rubbing compound and patience, you can get that finish as shiney as a mirror. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration