FJ - The Town That Saved THe Museum & The Museum That Saved The Town

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: FJ - The Town That Saved THe Museum & The Museum That Saved The Town
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 05:39 am:

It is early morning here in Richmond, IN ....

Ten years ago there was a celebration here that laid the foundation of what became an Incredible Story ...

Ford Motor Company celebrated their Centennial here
and it was un unexpected overwhelming success.

The MTFCA Museum was a small rented building on I-70 adjacent to The Candle Factory - after the Centennial the museum was tasked with finding a new home.

Sally Hutton - the beloved Mayor of Richmond - along with other civic & business leaders joined forces with Jay & Barbara Klehfoth at the MTFCA.

An empty building found along Hwy 40 - money was found to purchase it and donate it to the MTFCA - the Dream began.

But - the area surrounding the building was in Decay - the businesses shuttered - it was a formidable challenge.

Enter The Volunteers ..... :-)

Thousands of hours of skilled trade labor was provided by local & neighboring folks who tirelessly toiled long into the night after their day jobs were completed.

Slowly - but surely - the empty building was transformed.

And the businesses came ..... :-)

If you are in town like I am over the next week for the National Tour or for Homecoming - stop for a moment to give Thanks to all of those folks who saw potential (10) years ago - who rolled up their sleeves and contributed to what you see today.

Thank You To All Of Those People ....:-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 09:36 am:

One minor correction, Jim. The Ford Motor Company Centennial was in Dearborn in 2003. The Centennial in Richmond ten years ago was the Model T Centennial. There were Model Ts from St. Louis that drove to both of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

Yeah, my dad made that trip with the Lodge Group.
Had a picture of it somewhere of the 2003 run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

George this is a photo of the group arriving in Dearborn on Day 3, but I don't really remember whose car is whose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

THANKS DICK !!! That's dad with the top down and the slow vehicle sign in the spare. I remember first seeing this pic in the Vintage Ford Magazine. Dad didn't know when I told him about it. My nephew had rode along with him to Dearborne and has video. He hasn't gotten around to putting it together yet , hoping he will one of these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

George, I thought it might be but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

George, you sent me back into history. I found the 2010 forum thread that featured the 2003 program on NPR that included interviews with some of the drivers, including your dad...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/167283.html?1287928550

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

George Clipner, I want to be sure you see this....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

Thanks Dick, downloaded and hopefully I'll save it in the correct file.
Loved hearing my dad's voice again. Remember him talking about his "Second childhood." It was almost a standard line for him.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration