Was there a Fan Shaft Tool ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Was there a Fan Shaft Tool ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

So ... I just finished what seems to be a periodic fan shaft adjustment after it bound up this afternoon during a sixty mile trip. I just loosened the fan bracket and went without the fan. Funny, I never ever had a problem with the earlier style fan with the dope cup on the end of the nut on my 1919 T.

After removing the four screws to lift off the blade assembly you need to grab the end of the shaft in order to remove the castle nut on the outside end. I end up using a vice grip ... but there must have been a special tool to hold this without chewing it up. What did it look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 07:37 pm:

Hmmm ... just wondering. Has anyone simply installed a set screw in the bracket to keep the fan shaft from rotating and binding?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

I wonder if the front wheel bearing adjusting part of the last iteration of the 1349 hub cap wrench would fit the end of the fan shaft.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

That does look like the right shape. I have a spare fan in the garage to test it. Get back to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:54 am:

Mark, the fan shaft is stepped. The castle nut is just a locknut. It will simply undo as you screw it off. It may turn tbe shaft initially, but that will cease once tbe step meets the fan arm.
Putting it back together can be more difficult. If tbe fan goes tight on the shaft before the step in the shaft meets tbe arm there needs to be some work done on the bushing face, or a thin spacer needs to go on the shaft so the shoulder bottoms out sooner. If you get this in order, I have used a crescent wrench end on to bold tbe sbaft as the locknut is tightened.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 01:26 am:

Nope.
I've tried it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration