?'s re: wire wheel rear hub installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: ?'s re: wire wheel rear hub installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

I just removed my rear hubs to check the state of the bearings, and regrease them for another year.

I could not get the axle housing caps off. Is there an easy way to remove them or should I just rip them out and install new ones? Maybe I need to go with the newer style.

I also noticed that the hubs have a groove in them like the wooden wheel hubs. Should I have a felt between the hub and the axle housing cap?

I also noticed that you cannot tighten the axle nut on the axle like you do the wooden hub. There is nothing to stop the wheel from turning as you tighten the nut, except pulling back the emergency brake. Tightening the brake also makes it harder to install the hub. Sort of a catch 22 situation. The wheel is installed after the hub is installed.

I am looking for advice. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

Run a lug nut on a stud to protect the threads, and put a long bar across the hub under the nut to stop rotation. Also, I used a slide hammer with a flat broad hook to remove the seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

I use a slide hammer that has an "L" shaped bracket that I put a curve in to match the diameter of the housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 09:28 am:

I like the newer grease seals. Easy to take off and install if desired without trashing it. Also does a better job of keeping grease off the parking brakes if you do happen to put a little too much in there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration