Which Ford Tools Are Better Than Their Modern Equivalent?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Which Ford Tools Are Better Than Their Modern Equivalent?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 09:52 pm:

I am working on getting together a tool kit to stash under the rear seat. The originalist in me wants to piece together an original tool set to use in case I need to perform a basic repair along the road (change a tire, change a spark plug, tighten something, etc.). However the practical side of me says I should just stick a set of combination wrenches, a couple screw drivers and a pair of pliers under the seat and be done with it.

My question is are there any original Ford tools worth carrying that are better than their modern equivalent? I know that some of the original Ford wrenches come in some unique shapes and forms, so I assume that there’s some applications where a normal wench just won’t do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Generator wrench, exhaust pack nut wrench, carb wrench, transmission band ratchet wrench. Dont leave home without them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 11:32 pm:

I can recommend some Ford tools to leave home: tire irons. Model T tire irons are an unfunny joke. I bought some nice, long HF irons, and they are a big improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 12:17 am:

I would say none, other than the jack. It is adequate for the job, but I carry a 6" square of heavy plywood go use as a base. That said, I have an original kit in all my cars, just because I can, and they make good conversation pieces.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 02:11 am:

I use the spark plug/head bolt wrench, hub cap/wheel wrench and jack. Those eliminate a lot of finding and swapping tools. Sometimes I have to use a modern socket on old plugs that have been in for decades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 09:22 am:

Don't know what it's actually called but the stamped steel hub cap/drain plug + whatever is about the only tool I'd call "Better". The small open end wrenches are horrid. I don't trust the jack at all. The plug/head bolt one is OK. Screwdriver & pliers are what they are. Never seen the tire iron but if their bicycle sized they can't be of much use either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 09:33 am:

Debt or credit card,registion,and ins papers.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 09:33 am:

Transmission adjustment isn't something you have to do often, but these Ford wrenches are perfect for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 10:13 am:

Along with above; 3/8 for nuts on coil box and timer, 3/4 for fan arm and timer roller (box type), 5/8 for nut holding timer retainer (cars after 1919), most everything else is 9/16. If you can find one, the combination wrench with 9/16 and 5/8, the one that is bent at both ends for removing carb and timer retainer work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 07:45 am:

What size wrench is required for the 12-24 nut on the magneto post? Nothing I have but an adjustable wrench seems to fit.

The band adjustment wrenches Steve posted are great. They are light duty, but it takes very little force to turn the adjustment nuts. Mine had a small imprint on it saying something to the effect that it is not intended for tightening. A few teeth are chipped on the ratchet so it must not have stopped someone before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 10:43 am:

For the mag post use a thin blade (Ignition types sold sometimes in sets) open-end 7/16" wrench. Two are best, one to hold the base nut and one for snugging the wire terminal, you don't want to loosen the contact inside.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration