Exhaust manifold studs too short

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Exhaust manifold studs too short
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

So in my feeble attempt to do what seems to be a simple job, Iíve run into yet another roadblock. Got the gland/ring gaskets all lined up on both manifolds, clamped the intake down with the half clamps, and tried to get the other 2 on but there wasnít enough threads for the nuts to bite. Why did they fit before?! I even tried torquing all of them down with the half clamps, crushing the rings to see if I could get more room but no luck. Iíve now bunged up the ends of each stud. Can I still use the rings now that theyíre crushed if I have to replace the studs? The half clamps work because I can tilt them ever so slightly. Remind me the next time I get into a project to order two or three of everything because I seem to screw it up a couple of times before I get it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

The studs come in two different lengths. Longer studs for the earlier clamps (like the ones you show), shorter studs for the later style clamps which can actually be put on either direction (work with either longer or shorter studs). The earlier clamps only mount one way out, only the later ones can mount either way.
If those are the studs and clamps that were there before? It is possible that someone in the past only threaded the studs in part way to make them work. I have seen that several times. It is not a good idea, as not enough threads engaged can result in the threaded area breaking out under stress.
Depending upon the year of your car, and how proper you want to make it? Your easiest fix is probably to get four of the later clamps, place them the other direction and clamp tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

Did you check the ring/glands to see if they bottom out in the block and or the manifolds? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Dan, yes, they all seated up nicely. The rings were hardly visible when torqued down. It's a 23 so I'd like to keep it with the same original set up. I'm baffled that they no longer fit. Here is a before pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

Looks like you changed exhaust manifolds, could that be part of the problem ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

I don't think so Peter, the resting places for the clamps seem pretty level between the two manifolds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Wayne has the correct answer. Or get 4 longer studs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 11:33 am:

Use the late style clamps. They can be turned either way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration