Different length 3808 Front Spring Clip U Bolt?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Different length 3808 Front Spring Clip U Bolt?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 07:36 pm:

Anything earlier than a 1926 is a mystery to me. Have a pair of these U bolts that look very similar to the earlier 3808 but are of a different length. Any clue as to what they may fit? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

They are for the thicker 8 leaf front spring, but there was some pretty wild variation in the lengths of the earlier type, along with a lot of variation in the distance that the cotter pin hole was drilled from the flat, inside surface. In just about all cases the hole was too far above the castle nut to properly hold the cotter pin, which makes me think that perhaps there was a special, tall nut used there. However, I haven't been able to find any such nut in all my research trips to the Archives. The factory number for the (3809) nut is T-60, which had several different part numbers for different applications. T-60 was also used on the spindle bolt, for example, and was part number 2711 when ordered for that use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration