Searching for engine and chasis numbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Searching for engine and chasis numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 11:49 am:

I have completed frame up rebuilds on 3 T's in the last 12-15 years. I just had a 29 or 30? A model sort of dropped in my lap. It's not been driven in 17 years and there is a question on what year the 4 door three window Murry was produced. I have joined the MAFCA but they do not have a forum as we do in the MTFCA. I think we are very fortunate to have such a good forum as a tool we can all utilize.
So can someone tell me where to find the engine and frame numbers on the 29 or30 A? Thanks so much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 11:53 am:

There is a very active group of Model A guys on the Ford Barn. ( and a few T guys)
They have been a great help in getting my 31 Town Sedan back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Don, first, the '29 Murray 4dr has a smaller radiator than the 30-31 model, and is on 21" wheels, where the later one is on 19" wheels. What makes it a bit confusing is that that model uses a cowl& hood that is very much like the 30-31 models. Without getting into multiple details, open the hood and look at the firewall. if there is a bolted seam across the firewall, then it's a '29. Engine number is stamped above the water inlet opening, as on the T, the frame number (which originally matched the engine number) is on the top frame rail on the passenger side and you have to pull the fender & splash shield off to see it.
Another quick ID, the '29 has screw on gas & radiator caps, the '30 has 1/2 twist on/off caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

Don,

see pictures below:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

Another thing Don, there are a lot of guys on here who have As as well as Ts (whether, because of the snark that has become all too frequent on here, they admit it or not). I grew up with Model As and have 11 of them (along with 2 Model BBs and 6 Model Ts). If you have a question and aren't getting a quick response on the FordBarn, post it here (with the all-important "OT" disclaimer of course) and I'm sure someone will help out. I'm going to PM you my email - you can always write me and I'll try and help you out as well. Enjoy your new ride!

(Message edited by Conversiont on July 10, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

The chassis number for the A is under the left (drivers side) hand splash apron and is usually only visible if you lift the body. It should match the number on the side of the engine. If it doesn't then the frame number should match the number on your title.

In addition to the visored fordor bodies, there is also a slant window Fordor that is '31 only. the slant windows all look like the Murray design but some were Briggs built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 01:19 pm:

If I bought another modern car to go with the Camry it would probably be a Model A. But I have no space for another car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven King on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

Tom Miller is right, on an A the chassis number is under the drivers side cowl. I unbolted a 31 and lifted it just enough to get a little inspection mirror and flashlight in there and with a little polishing was able to make out the serial. My early 31 pickup did not have the indented firewall yet. Lots of cars running around in Wisconsin where the title matches neither number. I am restoring a 29 Tudor of which the car was apart since 1960 with one little hole in the body in the fender well. When I am done, no number will match, but I and the next guy will enjoy the car the same. Colors are 29 Bonnie Gray and Chelsea Blue.29 Tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 01:02 am:

oops my bad, yes, Driver's side for the serial number. I get right and left mixed up all the time!
Now I didn't post this, but I stamp the number on the bottom of the frame rail so it can be seen easily by DMV folks--they don't know it's supposed to be on the top, just where it should be found along the frame, so then you don't have to lift the body, splash apron, etc. On the early 30s, you usually have to take off the front fender, as the front part of the splash apron is on the fender, and the splash apron and running board base are one piece of steel.
Of course, one needs the special star stamp as well as the A along with the numbers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration