Leaking Valve Cover

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Leaking Valve Cover
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Como on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 08:27 am:

Is it possible to replace the valve cover gasket on a 1926 without removing the manifolds?

Thanks,
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 08:59 am:

Looking at the 1926 engine in my barn, I'd say it may be theoretically possible, but I would at least get the intake manifold out of the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 09:55 am:

Gary, it should be possible. I do not think you can remove the side plate, but it should be possible to get it far enough out of the way to slide a new gasket into place behind it. It my require removing one/both studs.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 10:01 am:

yes I have done it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 10:09 am:

Manifolds no, generator yes. At least that is what I had to do on my 25 to fully remove it so I could clean things up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 10:11 am:

Didn't they change from studs to bolts by '26?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 10:58 am:

I've had mine off. I have adjustable lifters and I set them without removing the manifolds. If you have a Holly or other carburetor you will need to remove the rod first. I think if you have a vaporizer, you might need to remove the manifolds. Mine have bolts not studs.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 10:59 am:

at some point late 26 .... august????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Como on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 11:26 am:

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 11:35 am:

Gary,
If you have the bolts which would be correct for a '26-'27 it's not a problem.
Done it many times. Takes a bit of fanegalling around and past the generator but hold your tongue the right way and it's a breeze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Como on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

I have a freshly rebuilt motor that is leaking a steady drip from the valve cover when the engine is running. It doesn't seem to me that there should be that much pressure in the valve chamber.
Other than a loose valve cover what should I be looking for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

Make sure the drain holes at the bottom of the valve galley are clear so any oil that comes in the chamber can run back into the crankcase.
Also check and see that your valve cover is not bent.

They do not need to be put on too tight this can warp them and spring them at the ends and more likely to leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 03:13 pm:

I have done it on out '21 with the two covers. Can't say about a one piece cover. It might be harder, maybe easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 04:34 am:

Yes. I have done it many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 08:19 am:

It's been a while, but I am sure I had it off on my 26. You do need to remove the throttle linkage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration