600w oil acts like 89-90w gear oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 600w oil acts like 89-90w gear oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul baresel on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 09:09 am:

has anyone else found that the 600w oil viscosity pours very easily and is not flowing like molasses in January?
I bought 2 qts this spring to use on a project ant change the oil in the rear end of another car and the oil was not thick or tacky at all.
Has anybody else noticed how thin the oil is now?
Is anybody using another oil substitute such as Shell Gadus S4 V600AC? This oil is from a referral
in the old car hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 09:39 am:

I use the 600W stuff from the vendors. It's supposedly designed for these cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 11:16 am:

My dad and I use SAE 250 - he bought a two gallon pail of it about 65 years ago. Also used it on some other antique cars - rear end, transmission, etc.

He switched to 600W when he rebuilt the rear end on his '17 touring about 15 years ago but that did nothing but run out of the end of the axle housing so he switched back to SAE 250.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 03:50 pm:

600W is not the same measuring scale as SAE. I think the old 600W (steam engine oil) is closer to SAE 200 oil, so the 250 you are using is fine stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

I run 90 w gear oil but then, I also have modern seals and bearings. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration