Old Photo - Bike and Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Bike and Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

Apparently some solders with an Indian Motorcycle and a Dodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

Richard:
thanks for posting this photo I had a 1917 Dodge Brothers touring that still had some of the old military id #'s on the doors and had sockets on both front fenders for what must have been flags that was my favorite antique car of all time powerful and reliable Dodge "dependability" ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

The first thing that jumped out to me in the photo was the tire tread on the front wheel of the Dodge. That sort of "chain-link" pattern was very common on bicycle tires in those days, and many original examples can still be found. I know car tires were made with that tread, and have seen a few in era photographs, as well as a couple of original advertisements. However, seeing such a clear shot of one in an era photo is quite unusual.

It looks to me like they were taking a great advantage of a "photo op"! It was probably very near the end of the war (either before of after?). I wonder if it was taken in the USA or the European theater?
The Indian does not appear to have official colors or markings?
And the fellow astride the cycle? Can any of our militaria experts tell me what he is wearing on his head? (Besides a "hat"?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael in northeast Indiana on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

Looks like a kepi ( maybe ) turned backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

Looks like a wool ''overseas cap'', known by another common name nowdays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

Here's the 1st series overseas cap....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

ya looks the same as the guy on the hoods "kepi"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

I think going by the handle bars the Indian is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 12:21 am:

I have a couple of those wool overseas (envelope) caps. No way they can appear as tall as what the fellow is wearing. Maybe it is something similar? Just taller?
Thanks for the replies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 12:32 am:

My grandpa drove an Indian in the teens and twenties. We still have the seat frame from it hanging in the barn. Dad tells me he bounced around on the seat in the yard when he was a young boy in the 40s. The story that old seat could tell.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration