No low gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: No low gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By geoffrey mark on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

Have my car running ,will only move off in high gear , when I press clutch pedal into floor nothing happens , let it out ,handbrake off it starts to move but in high gear , have adjusted band and its screwed in till there's hardly any thread showing out past the lock nut . Does this mean the band needs relined . Drives well in high gear when u get moveing . Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

I would take the inspection plate off the top of the hogs head and inspect the bands. It does sound like you need a reline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

Or maybe the pin holding the low speed notch onto the pedal shaft has sheared. Check it when you have the inspection plate off. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 11:04 am:

The easiest fix is to replace a worn band. But that is not the only thing which can cause your problem.
Note how far down you need to push the pedal before it starts moving to the right. It only compresses the band when it starts to move right. Several things can affect this movement. One is whether the pedal is bent forward from many years of pushing. It should be at approximately the same distance as the brake pedal when it is all the way back. Another problem is the wear on the cam and notch. In fact this is one of the main causes of problems with low gear. The pedal should move just far enough to go into neutral before it starts to move to the right. Then all the way from neutral it will continue moving to the right until it hits the floorboard. If your cam and notch are worn out you will need to turn the adjustment until the band it dragging before you will be able to operate low gear. If it is too tight, it will drag all the time you are in neutral, low, or high gear and will overheat the band and drum which lead to the cracked drum. A worst case will be the drum exploding which will stop the car in it's tracks and you will have to use a jack under one end of the axle to get the car to move even onto a trailer. See picture attached.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :-(
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By geoffrey mark on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 07:47 am:

Two weeks into ownership of a model t coupe 1924 an I'm attempting to change the low gear band without removing the hogs head . At present have brake band and low gear band out , low gear band shot to pieces an almost non exsisent , wish me luck ! Lol

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration