Rear axle shaft manufacture

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rear axle shaft manufacture
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 10:44 am:

I received new rear axle shafts recently and they are made in Taiwan. Has anybody used these and how have they worked out. It seems only one supplier lists USA axles in their catalogue. With all the axle issues years back I want to make sure I have no issues. Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 10:54 am:

I would be very careful on this one. I would first compare a reproduction to an original. I understand some new axles are made 1/16" longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 11:25 am:

Hello,
I have received several PM's asking about the supplier I got the axle from. This is not about who sold it, as I suspect other of our suppliers sell the same axle. The question is about the what. If you look on all the suppliers web sites you can figure out who sells what. I have done this after the fact. I believe all of the T parts suppliers do a great job. Had I read the catalog description closer I would not have ordered or at least asked the question about where they were made before I ordered. That these axles are in my garage is my fault. Personally I will take Taiwan over China if I must choose. I will probably order the USA made axles as these are going in my Speedster, I still would like to hear about if these Taiwan axles are up to the task.
Thank you Gary B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Hold the phone. Just talked with Dave at Chaffins. All T axles are being made by Snyder's and are made in Taiwan. Have been for several years now apparently. He has not heard of any failures so I will be using these axles as they are all you can get. Still anyone having problems with these axle please speak up. Thank you Gary B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

One "issue" I've had with the last 8 axles I've ordered (last fall) from 2 separate vendors is the keyways are machined undersize - I could not simply "tap" in a standard .250 ! Had to dress down the keys - not acceptable but WTF you going to do ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

I should add it is the axle keyway on the outboard taper I'm referring to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

If you opt for the offshore axles, I would get the diameter of the inner end where the axle gears are installed verified.
This spec needs to be exact,
if the axle is oversized by as little as .001"
you will have an issue installing the gears.

Personally I would spend the extra $ and source a north American made product

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 06:16 pm:

I thought Texas T Parts made the longer axles. I think I would consult with Bob Bergstad at Bob's Antique Auto Parts in Loves Park, Illinois. I have used his axles in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

I heard an interesting idea the other day.
Find an axle that is not too worn at the outer end. Extend the keyway in the gear end of the axle and thereby move the axle out a little.
I suppose if you did both sides about 0.050 then could add a second fiber washer. Anyhow now the axle is effectively longer to compensate for any wear on the axle or hub.
Ive not tried it, but it sounds interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

Wouldn't you also have to do some modification of the gear and or locking rings to allow the axle shaft to move more outboard relative to the gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig hall on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

After being in the machine tool business for 40 years before I worried about Diameters' and lengths I would check material and hardness specs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 11:31 pm:

To answer Gary, I have used probably 10 new axles in the last few years with no problem. I usually get them from Snyders. I have not had a problem pressing on the axle gears or hub keys.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 01:41 am:

Thank you Andy. I am not sure I explained the situation very well. Today if you buy Ruckstell parts from any vendor the parts are made by Chaffins. It seems to be the same for rear axles. As explained to me by Dave at Chaffins when you buy rear axles from Snyders (which I did) they are brought in from Taiwan by Snyders. If you buy rear axles from Chaffins (which I was going to do because online says USA made) you will get made in Taiwan because Chaffins gets them from Snyders. Snyders apparently picked up the rear axle ball after Texas T parts bowed out of the rear axle business, again per Dave a few years back. Both Macs and Langs online catalogs do not state where there axles are made but Langs description is very similar to Snyders. There are no new manufacture, made in USA rear axles per Dave at Chaffins. If any body can tell me who has them on the shelf now I am all ears. I am going to use these because two respectable vendors (maybe more)sell them. Per Craig Hall I will know about the diameters and lengths this weekend when I put the gears on. The hardness I will have to trust and make sure my Rocky Mtn's are adjusted good. What got me in this situation was I sheared an axle gear key on the left side going onto my driveway. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 08:21 am:

I though John Regan was having axles made someplace? Are they USA manufacture? Haven't heard much about them lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 09:00 am:

Axles are not a real difficult part to make. With the tariffs now in place they may be made in the US again. The price is going to go up either way.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Exactly Andy. At the end of the day this is like buying Callahan brake pads. It is what is inside the box that counts not what is says outside the box, to paraphrase Tommy Callahan. I prefer things made in the US but not always possible. I have put a question into Lang's about their axles and perhaps John Reagan will chime in. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 10:16 am:

John R. was having driveshafts manufactured in the U.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

Just finished speaking with John Stoltz, He's going to make up a batch of axles of US made steel . So you can see the type of steel he will be using , they will be made with ETD 150 steel.

You can check in with him for questions at Model T Ranch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

EDT 150 steel. Read about it here or google for more info.

http://www.alro.com/divsteel/metals_gridpt.aspx?gp=0003&gpn=ETD%20150%20CF&Mat=A LLOY&Type=Bars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

Lang's emailed me back saying their axles are made overseas and that only one company is making them. Thank you Lang's for getting back to me. If when I put the gears on,everything fits as it should and it holds up down the road I will be just fine with with these axles. I understand the economics of why they are being produced where they are and am glad they are available at all. It is good Snyder's has picked up the ball and I thank them for doing so. I do miss the American we can do it attitude in so many things today. I do wonder how many axles are sold every year, what an American made axle would cost and most important would we pay the price. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

I will always pay more for MADE IN THE USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

One can no longer avoid substituting foreign made parts in products. However, when it comes to antique vehicles, such as the Model T, I would prefer the "made in the USA", stamped somewhere.

Time will tell!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Ah yes, the age old question: Shall I be prepared to pay say, 4 times the price for a USA made product or not.

Most customers are happy to pay less for the Chinese component. Often, these are of equal or even superior material than the originals.

If less people were so frugal (cheap) and the "Wall Mart price" was not a factor, we would be better off today.. More USA made goods would be available.

But this is American and "Low Price Wins" every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

You can have stuff made overseas, but remember, they are building to a spec. The cheap stuff has looser specs. Proper specs will yield a satisfactory part. Remember the Chinese build rocket stuff.

Andy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration