Original 1913 Model T Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Original 1913 Model T Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KELLY EUGENE BRATTON on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

I have a 1913 Model T for sale that has three ID numbers. The body number under the seat is 240050 April 1913, Fire wall plate number 272055 May 1913 and motor number 290920 June 1913. It has been in the family since 1945, been to car shows and won trophies in the 60's and 70's. I can forward photos by text or email kellyebrattonsr@gmail.com or 3048598314

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

The number on the patent plate is a car number, but no records are kept of when they were built unless it's listed in the account receivables ledges at the Benson Ford archives, and only a small percent of the cars up until early 1915 can be found there.
The car number was mostly lower than the engine serial number since Ford sold complete numbered engines as spares, so your runabout may well be a June 1913 car with the original engine.
The body number was put there by the body manufacturer and is unrelated to the Ford numbers. Do you have a numbered radiator too? That was a Ford number too, but there are no records left..

(Message edited by Roger K on July 12, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

The three (maybe a fourth on the radiator!) serial numbers is absolutely normal for model Ts of that era.
The idea of "numbers matching" cars is a later thing, and there were SOME cars of the '10s and early '20s that used matching numbers on ID plates and the chassis and/or engine. However many, including the Ford model T did not.
Unfortunately, people tend to get caught up in "glitz" and "buzz words", rather than actually LEARN something. So that fact that "numbers matching" (truly only buzz words) does not apply to many cars must be explained often.

There are very good reasons why "numbers matching" is important to muscle cars of the '50s/'60s/'70s and some sports cars of the same eras. It has to do with a rare and special form of provenance unique to those cars. It really means very little to about 95 percent of all other collector cars. And, please people. Do not begin ridiculous debates about how much it does or doesn't matter to a model A Ford (or a hundred other cars of the '30s/'40s/'50s), most of which today do not have their original engine. Yes, having its original engine IS a plus, and will add a few dollars to a nice car. But those few dollars are not much in the model A market place. And a lot of "claimed" numbers matching model As have been faked because of this whole numbers matching brouhaha
That is my opinion.

Good luck with the sale of your T! I hope it gets a good home that will appreciate it. A lot of us on here would love to see pictures of it. And besides, lots of good pictures helps sell cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KELLY EUGENE BRATTON SR on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Ford offered good money because of those numbers back in the 90's and my Dad ran them off the property. The Reps that came to the house went all over it. At that time there was no record of a 1913 Model T in the Museum. My Dad was a fool. I guess it's not worth the 5 gallon of gas to fill the tank at $2.89 a gallon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Kelly please donít be offended by information given or opinions when it comes to your 13. In a general sense I believe folks try to give us information to help us have a better understanding of the uniqueness of our cars. Your 13 most likely is a fine example of perhaps an original 13. In which case Iím envious (in a good way). Please attach some pictures of your roadster. I know I would like to see them and I suppose others would too. Not to many original early Tís out there. Best John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 09:47 pm:

Kelly;
If the car is for sale it should be listed in the classifieds with a price and a good description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KELLY EUGENE BRATTON SR on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 10:23 am:

Can anyone tell me how to remove it from the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 10:42 am:

PM the moderator for removal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 03:10 pm:

Kelly's profile has been removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 03:49 pm:

Mark, I think Kelly just wanted to move this "ad" over to the classifieds, not be removed from the forum (but I could be wrong!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

David maybe so, but that would have been between him and Chris. Guess if someone wanted to contact him his email and phone number are in the first posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

If you have $40,000 lying around .....

@ https://www.racingjunk.com/Ford/183066288/1913-Ford-Model-T.html

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

Thanks Jim. Nice older restoration, but me thinks not $40,000 worth. One can dream. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 06:10 pm:

Heres a nice 14 for sale. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/1914-model-touring/6643417094.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By art ebeling on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 07:07 pm:

The ad in FJís post does not match the price or name on the email I received from my inquiry. The response I Got said 30,000 and included the same picture with a bunch more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By art ebeling on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 07:12 pm:

I was also sent a second email saying make an offer and he would not be offended. Tempting, but I would rather find a 12 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

Email from Kelly this morning saying its sold.

I have sold the T but haven't been able to take it off the site.
Thanks for the inquiry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

Art,

The OP listed " 3048598314 " as the contact phone number.

I took that number - installed breaks between the digits ...

Then I did a google search on " 304-859-8314 ".

That resulted in the ad link I posted.

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration