Our bad habits catch up with us

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Our bad habits catch up with us
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

I didn't realize for years that there was a cotter pin in the fan shaft bolt or a spring on the crank. I drove my T's many years without either and noticed no problem. Apparently removing the bolt enough times for cleaning and adjusting has cleaned the treads enough now. Two cars have had the fan bolt back out and cause clanking noises while driving.
Last month on our Yellowstone trip we heard the clanking and stopped to see the fan was hitting on the nuts that held the Ford script to the radiator. This caused a very slight leak. Removing the radiator when we got home revealed that the stud that one nut was hitting had pinched one tube closed.

I pried the tube open again and soldered it.

As for the spring on the crank, I hadn't noticed much problem for years but the '09 was making noises more recently so I bought crank springs for all the cars. The last picture shows wear from the ratchet hitting the pin.

There are a great many things we neglect or take for granted. I have gotten away with a lot even though I try to attend to everything. This forum has some great advice if we take it. I post this in the spirit of trying to avert other catastrophes.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 02:16 pm:

Good testimonials, thanks Richard! :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on July 13, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

Great post Richard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

Richard,
Did your crank handle have a hole at the bend to hold the end of the spring so it doesn't shift? Mine don't and the spring keeps sliding out on the crank to where it doesn't help anymore, then I have to slide it back. I want to drill a hole to hold the end of the spring wire but don't know where?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Bob, check very closely, the hole is small and can get plugged up with debris over the years. Poke around with an awl or something similar to find it. If you don't find one, I would suggest drilling one, it only needs to be deep enough to capture the turned down end of the spring. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/821143.html?1514672124

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

I checked several cranks and the holes were not all in the same location. I made the crank for the '09 so it didn't have a hole. I drilled it twice because the bit broke the first time. The fun continues.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration