Hydrogen Peroxide

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hydrogen Peroxide
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

Has anyone heard of substituting or just adding to the water in the tank of a carbide generator some hydrogen peroxide? It is supposed to make the flame brighter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

Haven't heard of it before, but it makes sense. Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2, has twice as much oxygen in it as water.

Maybe do a test with some carbide in a SMALL can, well away from other flammable objects? Be sure to wear a face shield!

Can't wait to see the water vs. hydrogen peroxide Youtube video! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

It works good as a rocket fuel.
Not sure about headlights. It is an oxidizer, so it will make the flame hotter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Larry peroxide added to the water will increase the brightness but also the heat. If you like your glass mirrors/ reflectors you’ll steer clear. Miners would add peroxide to their headlamps but remember the reflectors were generally polished nickel plated brass that cast broad unfocused light vs the reflectors for headlights. Best John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 07:03 pm:

learn something new, re miners carbide lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 08:29 pm:

In order to rapidly break down Hydrogen Peroxide into water and oxygen a catalyst is required such as Manganese Dioxide. I haven't found where Calcium Carbide has any significant catalytic effect on Hydrogen Peroxide so probably nothing much would happen. Regardless, combining oxygen with acetylene in a closed container is a bad idea, as in BOOM! Your lights were not designed to run such a combo so I would stay clear.

Tim - an old chemistry teacher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Tim, did you recommend adding H2O2 by the capful to batteries ???
I recall some years ago some one with your background had made the recommendation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 11:29 pm:

Oxygen and fuel gasses in a rubber hose with a flame on the end. What could go wrong? Probably not a high risk as I doubt the peroxide would release all that quickly but... don't think it's recommended on a car you actually want to keep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 05:36 am:

I tried to take a chunk out of my thumb the other day. It wasn't my plan, but as things sometimes go, a sharp object I was working on had its own ideas. After washing and flushing the wound with soap and water (used an old toothbrush also, now THAT hurt!), I flushed the wound out again with hydrogen peroxide. It bubbled and foamed a bunch, rinsed it off again. Poured more hp onto it, more bubbling and foaming, rinsed again. Then a third time through. Three days later, it seems to be healing up nicely, with no sign of infection.

That is how I use hydrogen peroxide.

I used to use tincture of merthiolate, but that stuff has become very hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 06:41 am:

You can also put it on skin cancer. I use the 35% food grade for many things. We all got sick on a sewer plant job once, my friend Ed was extremely sick. He was about 30 then and 230 lbs(very well built), he lost 100 lbs in the first month. After not getting any better for about a year under doctors care someone recommended taking drops mixed in water. He was back to work in 2 weeks and on the mend. So we all took the regiment of h2o2. That was 30 years ago and we are all doing ok. Im with Tim, I don't think it is a good idea. It will also probably ruin your generator. I know if you want something to rust, h2o2 will do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 01:05 am:

Haha! I grew up with Merthiolate too Wayne! I carefully removed the broken cap from that little brown glass bottle and put it on my boyhood wounds.
They now sell it as Mercury free! Available on the 'net. Ours had Mercury. Great antiseptic but...
John, I KNOW you ain't crazy. Got a bottle in my fridge. Gotta get back on it. A dandy oxidizer like Chlorine Dioxide.
Both h2o2 and ClO2 are friendly to us but hard on yucky stuff we have IN us. Dr Noel might disagree. :-)
We've run off topic Larry. Please excuse. ;-)
I'd like to have a Brass T with gas lighting. Right up my alley of perhaps fussy and potentially dangerous. I'm so cheap tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

George - that wasn't me. I'm not aware of any benefit to be gained by adding Hydrogen Peroxide to a wet cell battery. For one thing, the stuff from the store is 97% plain water anyway.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration