Tracking Down an Annoying Skip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tracking Down an Annoying Skip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Developed a skip a few weeks back and it was driving me crazy. At idle it was perfectly fine but cruising under a slight load it was definitely noticeable. Pulled the timer and it was clean (i run a TW) so i knew that wasn't it. Swapped out another set of coils i have, still the same. Checked all the wiring, seems to be fine. Pulled the 3 year old x's i have and they looked good but decided to pull them apart for a closer look and a thorough cleaning. This is what i found after cleaning them all up, it seems one had what seems like a carbon track in the porcelain. I can't see or feel a crack, but that might mean nothing. After replacing the plug with a spare i had, the skip is gone. Anyone else here seen this before?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Nope, but have a simular issue, but I had not started to look for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

How old are these plugs? the old 1's had enamel or something else coating the interior porcelain and the newer 1's don't.The coated 1's were less apt to do this I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 09:07 am:

Good catch, plugs can be elusive because many look like they should run. I had a timer do something similar with carbon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:25 am:

I use to have this intermittent skip problem with champion A(I think) 25's. I switched to Motocraft F11's, end of problem, that's all I use in all my T's now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 09:43 am:

Jelf uses a lot of re-built plugs. Bet he's seen it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration